I own my property outright but want to get a loan against it

Options
Helllo all,

Not sure if this is in the right place but if it's not can someone move it to the right place thank you.

So my question is this I own my home outright mortgage has been paid off in full I want to get a secured loan of around £20,000 my property is valued at £100,000 I'm retired but getting more than enough money to pay the loan. But I can't find any company's that offer these loans anymore, does anyone know of them or is my only option a broker ?

If anyone wanted to know I'm using the money to buy a new conservatory as mine has rotted and leaking.

Kind regards

Martyn

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you approached your bank?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who will inherit your house? Could they take out a personal loan and give it to you to buy the conservatory as the odds are they'll get it one day anyway.... if there were 2-3 of them it'd not be a lot.

You could repay them their loan amounts each month.

Worth looking into and tossing the sums into the mix.
  • Martyn27q
    Options
    Hello banks don't seem to do secured loans anymore and I was looking at a remortgage but you need a mortgage to do that.

The problem with doing it that was is I have 6 children and only 3 of them have good credit but non are willing to help and there saving for mortgages them selfs and applying for credit will hinder that chances
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Who will inherit your house? Could they take out a personal loan and give it to you to buy the conservatory as the odds are they'll get it one day anyway.... if there were 2-3 of them it'd not be a lot.

You could repay them their loan amounts each month.

Worth looking into and tossing the sums into the mix.

Wouldn't this get complicated if the homeowner required long term residential care, paid for by the sale of their house?
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What have you got against using a broker?
  • Martyn27q
    Options
    I haven't got a problem with brokers I'm just not sure who are reputable and not gonna charge me through the nose for using them.

Also most secured loans on msm want you to still have a mortgage which I don't get.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a regular income, why don't you get a mortgage through a broker?
  • Martyn27q
    Options
    Can you get another mortgage on a house you own a 100% on ? I have a regular state and private pension coming in
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn27q wrote: »
    Can you get another mortgage on a house you own a 100% on ? I have a regular state and private pension coming in

Isn't that just a mortgage?

You should be able to get unsecured loans of up to £25k anyway.

Most mortgage brokers get some money from the mortgage provider, so you shouldn't need to worry about getting ripped off.

Go talk to your bank first and see what they can offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure