Do you "need" your car?

Options
124»

Comments

• piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I couldn't survive without my car. Given a 45 mile round trip each day to work, I'd spend more on public transport. Throw in the 50 mile trips to see my mates (£14 return plus bus fares either end) and it is more economically viable to use a car instead.

However, what I have done is made sure that what I drive is the most economical option. IE 15k mile a year, so diesel, very reliable, etc. £250 per year insurance (for a group 5 - was £650 last year on my old car), now £20 per week in fuel to get to work (was £35 a week before). So I save about £800 a year on my old car (servicing and tax are slightly more).
    matched betting: £879.63
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i cant imagine life without my car although its getting on these days and i only use it to go to the shops and to see my mum at the weekends everynow and then, i dont think i could ever do with out it.

I think its just the case that if i wanted to go somewhere then i could, without the hassle of using public transport. (i use public transport in the week and truly detest how much it costs and how crowded it is )

James
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH and I have 1 car which we share. We are lucky that we work at the same place and so can go in together and don't have more than a 10 minute walk at the other end (depending on whose building we park next to).

But there's also some compromise too - OH can work from home/work really flexible hours (he does research) and so where we lived before he could go in late/leave early whereas now he has to follow my '9-5' or stay at home all day and at weekends we can't go different places at once easily.

However saying that when we moved (and bought our 1st house) although we moved 15 miles away from where we work (as opposed to 1 mile - couldn't afford house prices there) we knew we'd have to share the car and we deliberately considered transport links and are less than 20 minutes walk from the local train and bus stations and if need be we could get a bus to within 15 minutes walk of work.

We have considered getting another car - or about me applying for a couple of jobs miles away that would require another car - but ecomonically and environmentally we've decided it isn't a good plan and we intend to try and be a 1 car family for as long as possible.

To OH I think that selling your 2nd car is a good idea (but I think you've already worked that out).
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We couldn't cope without our car,we live in a rural village and just don't have the public transport to use instead.Everywhere we go is too far and not safe to walk,our car is old (10 years) but still going very strong,we have thought we could do with a second car,but DH has a motorbike instead,this is much cheaper.
    I would get rid of your second car,it sounds like you could live without it.
    LIH
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • excel30
    excel30 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all your advice and comments, including the links to car price guides.

Hmmm, giving some thought to maybe selling the newer Zafira, I just worked out in the 20 months we have had it we've done 8501 miles which to me doesn't really justify it.

Anyway, its my wife who uses it so getting her to give it up is not going to be so easy, (however shes currrently down to 5 ciggies a day and I would have thought that a much harder task :) )

Thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport