Job want me to resign because of Mental health

Options
I have been going through a bad patch with depression,nervousness, and weight loss. I have seen a psychiatrist who recommended i take a further month off work (i have already been off 3 weeks). I showed the letter from the doctor to HR, and they were not happy about it at all and said they think i'm not well enough to do the job ever .
They want me to reply back saying i will resign. but i realy liked this job and feel when i m better i can do it at reduced hours.

I 'm worried if i argue with them, they might just sack me instead so i won't get notice pay or a reference etc, i have nearly been there 2 years just a few weeks off. I feel like they are putting pressure on me because they want me out before i am there for 2 years.

I also feel pretty low about everything like no one else will give me a job if they find out i suffer MH problems.

is my best bet now just to resign?

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They can't force you to resign so don't let them make you.

They may try and dismiss you but that will take months and it's dodgy ground if you've got a signed off sick note.

One thing I would say is they don't have to give you reduced hours so I wouldn't rely on that.

Try and put them off until you've got to the two years point. Tell them you want to think about it
  • fryedslyce
    Options
    Do not resign, ask to be referred to occupational health.

If your mental health problems have been ongoing or are likely to last 12 months or more then they can be classed as a disability.

Asking for reduced hours would be considered a reasonable adjustment, to quote from the Government website,

"Reasonable adjustments include:
    allowing employees who become disabled to make a phased return to work, including flexible hours or part-time working"
  • SUPERWOLFPAWS
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    They can't force you to resign so don't let them make you.

They may try and dismiss you but that will take months and it's dodgy ground if you've got a signed off sick note.

One thing I would say is they don't have to give you reduced hours so I wouldn't rely on that.

Try and put them off until you've got to the two years point. Tell them you want to think about it

thankyou for your reply.

they also didnt like the letter from the doctor, they think that is was not a proper piece of evidence that i'm ill. I'm going to the GP to get a note.

I thought they can just sack me without giving a reason? because i have not been there 2 years yet, it would not be unfair dismissal?.
  • Diamandis
    Options
    thankyou for your reply.

they also didnt like the letter from the doctor, they think that is was not a proper piece of evidence that i'm ill. I'm going to the GP to get a note.

I thought they can just sack me without giving a reason? because i have not been there 2 years yet, it would not be unfair dismissal?.

You should provide fit notes rather than letters.

Most companies have disciplinary policies they would go through before letting someone go. I'd just say that you plan to return once the fit note runs out so don't want to resign from the position. If you plan to work part time when you go back though, you should really discuss that soon. They may refuse if they want you to resign anyway though.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How far off of 2 years employment? It's quite important at this stage

If it's more than 3 weeks I think you maybe in trouble
  • SUPERWOLFPAWS
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    How far off of 2 years employment? It's quite important at this stage

If it's more than 3 weeks I think you maybe in trouble

thankyou
    I think i am about 14 days until i have been there 2 years.
    I have given a back dated sick note by email, i will send a letter just in case there is a problem.

they think my contact with them has not been so good as it was done by email .

I suspect they may try saying i am in breech of contract because of lack of contact by phone.

I suppose it is possible they can get me sacked or try to get me to resign again.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I suspect they may try saying i am in breech of contract because of lack of contact by phone.

Check what your contract states.

Mine says I have to ring a dedicated sick line and leave a message before a certain time of the day of sickness. Unless I have prior approval from HR then I have to ring the line every day I am off sick.

If you haven't followed the procedure for sickness that is in your contract then they may get you on a 'technicality'.
  • SUPERWOLFPAWS
    Options
    Check what your contract states.

Mine says I have to ring a dedicated sick line and leave a message before a certain time of the day of sickness. Unless I have prior approval from HR then I have to ring the line every day I am off sick.

If you haven't followed the procedure for sickness that is in your contract then they may get you on a 'technicality'.

yes , i think that is what they will probably do. lol good thing i m drugged up to my eye balls. :)

Do you think they are able to give me a bad reference if they did find a way to sack me? like would they say, 'employee breach contract due to illness' . or something..? thanks :)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you think they are able to give me a bad reference if they did find a way to sack me? like would they say, 'employee breach contract due to illness' . or something..? thanks :)

Providing it is truthful, an employer could give an uncomplimentary reference. However many will only just state the dates a person was employed with them
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you say 'they want me to resign' have they said that to you directly? Or been daft enough to put that in writing to you? Or is it the impression you have?

If you didn't call in then yes it is a disciplinary matter and they'd be within their rights to take action on it, unless you're sectioned or something like that then really you should be calling in.

In your situation I think I would make it clear that you do want to return to work and you feel that you will be fit to return following the note (which will hopefully take you over two years).

Do you have any indication as to whether or not you are covered under the equality act?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure