Hello, I need advise about CVs

Options
Hello everybody:)
First post on here so if I've posted in the wrong area I apologise. A month ago I got dismissed from my job after working there for ten months. I graduated university in 2015 and looking to get a job relevant to my degree as my previous job was irrelevant. (something to pay the bills)
I've made a CV however I'm not having any luck in terms of interviews and not gaining any in-depth feedback about my applications. So I have done some research and stumbled across a few websites such as cvnow.co.uk that give advise on CVs.

Im alittle worried that I could be sending my information to companies that they might use the content for spam or cold calling. What I'm trying to ask is that I need advise about my CV as I'm not getting any interviews at all..........so does anyone recommend anywhere I can look to improve my chances? Ive read a few articles but really I need someone who can review my CV and give me feedback.
Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you still have access to your university's career advice?
    Some universities will help for a couple of years after graduation so worth checking.

What area of work are you trying to get into?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I hate to point this out...but I suspect English may not be your first language?

I ask this question because your post is asking for "advise" (verb) when what you actually want is "advice" (noun). If your current CV contains similar errors it might explain why you are not successful in getting an interview. I'm sorry to have to point this out, but it was the first thing that struck me about the title of your post. Potential employers may view such errors (if they're in your CV) similarly.

If I'm mistaken, and your CV is both grammatically and "spell-checked" perfect, then I agree with Sanne, go back to your university's career service.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered buying a respected book on writing CV's? Amazon is your friend. It will be a lot cheaper than paying someone to look at your CV.

Also there is a good chance your CV has not even been looked at by a human, its all done by computers unfortunately and is mainly about having the right key words.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Have you considered buying a respected book on writing CV's? Amazon is your friend. It will be a lot cheaper than paying someone to look at your CV.

Also there is a good chance your CV has not even been looked at by a human, its all done by computers unfortunately and is mainly about having the right key words.

Is there a book you would recommend ?

Or just buy 1 that's popular.
  • YouAsked
    YouAsked Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options

Ordinarily I'd agree, but there are a few grammatical errors in the OP's post and I would worry that their CV may have similar issues. I'm not sure I would pay someone though - anyone with a decent grasp of English could give it a once over.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd second the suggestion to speak to your University's careers office to find out whether they can offer any help or advice.

I would also get someone you trust to check your CV looking specifically for spelling, grammar, and typing errors. Like Manxman, the advise/advice error jumped out at me.

What type of jobs are you applying for? Are you tailoring your CV and cover letter to each job?

If you know anytone who is already wrking in the types of job you are applying for, it might help to ask that person t review your application and give some feedback.

It may be, of course, simply be that there is a high volume of applications and that there is nothing particualrly wrong with your CV, just that there are lots of applicants. if you are applying for jobs related to your degree then the other difficulty is that you are now competing against the 2016 gratuates, and your job experience isn't linked to your degree.

one thing you might find helps is to think about what you have learned from your time in employment. Even if the job wasn't directly relevant to your degree, you may well have gained experience or skills whoch would be relevant - for instance, things such as working with a team / having to organise your own workload and prioritise it / working with customers / clients are skills which are very relevant and transferrable to lots of diferent types of job.

How are you dealing, in your CV, with the fact that you were dismissed? Was this for misconduct or were you simply 'let go'? (You don't ned to answer those questions here, if you don't want to, but thinking about them and how you apprach that on your CV may help you to improve it.

I can't comment on CV companies as I'v enever used one, but I would sugges that if you do look for professional help, look for soemone who can sit down and work with you, and discuss what they recommend, rather than someone who re-writes the CV for you. This will mean that you can then make further changes to tailor your CV to each application, and also that the CV is more likely to be consistent with the rest of your application, and less likely to come across as a mass produced one.

good luck in your job search.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 12:38PM
    Options
    There is great advice above about free (or cheap) options online and in books for CV writing, I'd definitely second those.

Also, do you have any friends who can read your CV and advise? My friends and I constantly do this to each others CVs when we are applying for jobs - we are comfortable that we'd find any errors, and give professional feedback.

On LinkedIn you can also get a free months trial to their 'premium' jobseeker service, which has a lot of tips, and discussions with other people in the same position who would be willing to review your CV and give feedback for free.

Edit: you also should not have just one CV, but ideally a tailored version for each role you are applying for, highlighting your experience relevant to that role. I've just finished a period of jobhunting, and I think I have about 15 different versions now! I realise that is easier when you have had a longer career and more experience though.
  • amandacat
    amandacat Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I shortlist staff so can hopefully give some general advice.

Spelling and grammar is a big issue on a number of CVs that I receive. It's normally things like their/there or advise/advice being mixed up rather than a complete spelling mistake.

CV format. The most recent employer should be at the top and be clear on the duties and responsibilities held. I like to see key facts or figures regarding specific achievements in the role backed up with a solid example. I see comments like 'I am hardworking and confident and work well in a team'. A CV that is better gives specifics about how they have demonstrated this in their previous role.

Company names not given is common so I might just see the job title and have no idea exactly what industry they have gained experience in or why the are hiding the names of their employers from me.

Not listing the relevant qualifications they hold. It's surprising how often this is missing.

Using the same CV for every job application is a big occurrence and quite often means it does not highlight the skills or motivation for applying for that job. Please tailor your personal statement or highlight the roles within your previous employment that were relevant to the post you're applying for.

Out of every 5 CVs I receive, I would say that 4 are guilty of most of the above. There are a lot of bad CVs out there so if you have a well written and laid out one, you will stand out.
  • Starlet
    Starlet Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Is there a book you would recommend ?

Or just buy 1 that's popular.
    Why not go to the library? That way, you can take out a few good books and can save money.
    :EasterBun
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport