How often should you do strength training?

Options
How many times per week would you recommend for strength training and how much rest should you give between sessions?
That voice in your head that says you can’t do this is a LIAR!

Debt Free - January 2021 :D

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many times per week would you recommend for strength training and how much rest should you give between sessions?

The rule of thumb is to have a day's rest between sessions.

I suppose you could do it every day as long as you took care not to exercise specific muscle groups two days in a row.
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think NHS says for general exercise/well-being - two 30min sessions per week.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    depends on the body type in all honesty and your goal.

some don't require any, whereas I do and little to no cardio.

I do it every session, although the intensity varies.
  • First_Trouble
    Options
    Thanks, I love to do strength training and I manage my own workout programmes from free videos on youtube. I tend to do upper body strength, core, lower body strength, yoga/pilates for a good stretch & full body HIIT or cardio then start again from the top.

Each of these are done on a different day lasting between 20mins - 50mins.

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What are your goals of strength training?

ie do you want to compete at powerlifting/strong men etc. Or just for general health?

You can strength train lots if you, you can do more than 7 sessions a week. Though your lower the intensity and volume accordingly.

Break it into
    frequency * volume * intensity.
    As you increase one of the above variables, you may have to reduce another one to get the optimal results.
  • First_Trouble
    Options
    Thanks Stephen 77,

It's just for general health, I don't lift heavy weights at the moment I'm using 5kg dumbells but I enjoy it a lot. Gradually I want to own a variety of weights as some of my muscle groups are weaker than others.

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Stephen 77,

It's just for general health, I don't lift heavy weights at the moment I'm using 5kg dumbells but I enjoy it a lot. Gradually I want to own a variety of weights as some of my muscle groups are weaker than others.
    Heavy is relative to you. If 5kg is your max then it's heavy for you. Which is good as your body will adapt so you will soon do 6kg and then 10kg and so on. It gets rewarding as you lift more.
    As it for health. Choose a method and frequence you enjoy. While it may not give you optimal gains you will keep enjoying for the long hual which is key.
    Some exercise are productive than others. You get more out of doing shoulder press than leteral raises .
  • First_Trouble
    Options
    stephen77 wrote: »
    Heavy is relative to you. If 5kg is your max then it's heavy for you. Which is good as your body will adapt so you will soon do 6kg and then 10kg and so on. It gets rewarding as you lift more.
    As it for health. Choose a method and frequence you enjoy. While it may not give you optimal gains you will keep enjoying for the long hual which is key.
    Some exercise are productive than others. You get more out of doing shoulder press than lateral raises .

I think my biceps, chest & shoulders are almost ready for 6kg but I can't lift much doing lateral of verteral raises without my form suffering, those muscle groups are still on 1kg. I'm trying to build this up gradually I know I will get there.

I really enjoy strength training as a form of exercise I sweat, feel like I have had a good workout and can go for longer than other workouts like HIIT for example. I do include this HIIT but can only manage 30min before I can a quivering heap on the floor.
    I also enjoy running and pilates.

• Bordeuax
    Bordeuax Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    For each muscle group 3 day rest or 2 days, if not a hard sessions
    so
    monday, chest
    tuesday, legs
    wed, Shoulders
    thur, triceps and biceps
    friday, back
    sat aerobic, run etc or day off