Austerity Measures

Options
Samsonite1
Samsonite1 Posts: 572 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I apologise in advance as I could not find a suitable area to post this...

With the recent protests against austerity measures. I am probably just badly informed, but what is the campaign against? Presumably these people know that austerity measures are in place due to essentially a lack of them previously. The economy is recovering, so is this just a protest for wanting more support in austere times or is it because there is something intrinsically wrong with austerity measures when the economy is recovering?

I apologise if this this sounds stupid, but I am sure any answers will be enlightening for many.

Thanks,
S
To err is human, but it is against company policy.

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you depend upon any type of "in work" benefit, tax credits, child tax credits, rent allowance, council tax allowance.
    You along with anyone else drawing such benefits will be getting enlightened via your wallets.
    Those that scrape by without, will be getting enlightened by not getting a pay increase and wages heading downwards to wards minimum wage without benefits to top them up.

The Economy is still the economy, it is like a giant cake where the "club" that run the cake fund get a 99% cut of the slices.
    Now they want your 1%, the 99% is not enough.
    So basically they are going to take your tax and dish it out in PFI schemes to all their tax dodging mates and when you are too sick or can no longer work until you drop dead or your drummed in working class pride finally runs out.
    Your getting nothing.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Samsonite1
    Options
    If you depend upon any type of "in work" benefit, tax credits, child tax credits, rent allowance, council tax allowance.
    You along with anyone else drawing such benefits will be getting enlightened via your wallets.
    Those that scrape by without, will be getting enlightened by not getting a pay increase and wages heading downwards to wards minimum wage without benefits to top them up.

The Economy is still the economy, it is like a giant cake where the "club" that run the cake fund get a 99% cut of the slices.
    Now they want your 1%, the 99% is not enough.
    So basically they are going to take your tax and dish it out in PFI schemes to all their tax dodging mates and when you are too sick or can no longer work until you drop dead or your drummed in working class pride finally runs out.
    Your getting nothing.

Thank you - that makes sense in a condensed form. I would say that a lot of people protesting do not actually know this though. That will always be the case I guess...
  • Samsonite1
    Options
    I think where I was coming from is encapsulated by the BBC reporting on the demonstrations. Here is a quote:
    "It you looked closely at the placards, banners and T-shirts, you saw that the issues people were shouting about were many and varied.

Homes not Trident. Save Our NHS. A living wage for mothers. Frack-free world."

It seems that many people are jumping on the bandwagon and protesting against anything they disagree with under the banner of "anti-austerity". Some of these things have nothing to do with austerity, so it really weakens the message that anyone is trying to send out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure