Sims 4

Options
My daughter is very keen to play the Sims 4 on PC. New it is rather beyond her price range, so I looked on ebay, where there are a number of affordable looking second hand copies.

It seems that in order to play the game (even offline) you first have to register it on Origin. So my question is, if we bought a second hand copy, would we be able to use it if it had already been registered? Or could the same disc be used to link to more than one Origin account?

Grateful for any help before she spends her hard-earned pocket money!

Comments

• bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Far as I know it'll have a one time use code with the game which will be required to play it - it's basically the anti-piracy protection but also completely removes the second hand market. The code cannot be transferred, cannot be re-used & will be linked to the original owners Origin account.

The general rule of thumb is that buying second hand PC games tends to be a bad idea, particularly recent ones as they're more likely to feature online activation. There are some "cheaper" ways to acquire the game as it can regularly appear in sales, but it's not a game that's likely to be one that'll go super cheap. It's one of the best selling PC titles of all time, combined with a publisher known for milking cash cows - both factors that'll generally keep it north of £30.

Other thing to think about is will your computer run it? Google "will it run" and that'll scan your system to find out.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    You could look at one of the keys sites like cdkeys, where you can often buy it cheaper

Otherwise if you willing to wait you could just keep checking origin for special offers. They often have it half price deals.

The big steam summer sale is usually around June and origin usually run a sale at the same time
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, very helpful replies.

It makes me wonder why there are so many 2nd hand copies on offer and being bought - are the buyers unable to actually play the game, and if so what do they do?
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    ElefantEd wrote: »
    Thanks, very helpful replies.

It makes me wonder why there are so many 2nd hand copies on offer and being bought - are the buyers unable to actually play the game, and if so what do they do?

Probably due to people not "getting" how the PC gaming market works - they figure it didn't work on their machine so it hasn't been "played" and as such can be sold on. There's then the fact if it doesn't work they'll try anything to recoup costs as once it's open retailers will likely refuse to issue refunds. (Cos well, the retailer would then take a hit on it when EA refuse to credit them)

When I worked in games retail I used to hear all the time "oh it's a new computer" or some other daft remark with regards to the computer "being good". (Often followed up with something about how they bought it from a supermarket!) Similarly I used to have people just when Netbooks came around saying they would run high end PC games.... If you're not up to speed with it PC gaming is not a place one should be as it can sting you very easily!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • francesprince
    Options
    Really very helpful replies.
  • kacperwujek
    Options
    I love this virtual life. Continuously monitors the extras. I may not have them at the time of release, but I try to expand your sims
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We did, finally, get it on special offer from Origin. My daughter has been enjoying it ever since! (I don't see the attraction myself, but there you go).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure