Amazon.com cheaper than Anazon.co.uk

Options
Ive seen something substantially cheaper on Amazon.com compared to Amazon.co.uk. If I buy it from there will I be charged extra in shipping fees/import duty which would cancel out anything I have saved?

TIA
Treen
The most important things in life aren't 'things'

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 April 2016 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Treen wrote: »
    Ive seen something substantially cheaper on Amazon.com compared to Amazon.co.uk. If I buy it from there will I be charged extra in shipping fees/import duty which would cancel out anything I have saved?

TIA
    Treen

why not try it ? you will see how much its going to cost at the checkout before you actually have to pay for it . or even if you dont want to go that far - Stick it in your cart , select the "your cart" page and then look for "estimate shipping & tax" dropdown
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've bought items from German Amazon before like that.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've bought items from German Amazon before like that.

If you are in the EU then it's nigh on the same as buying from the same country. There are no taxes due on goods when an EU consumer buys from another country within the EU.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Treen wrote: »

TIA
    Treen

Amazon.com do a global shipping scheme which allows you to prepay any due taxes/charges.

If you buy from a marketplace seller on .com you will most likely be subject to import charges, but it depends on the value.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depending on the value customs can stop things from outside the EU and apply VAT and then the courier will apply a handling charge as well.
  • Simonking12
    Options
    Yes but in what about shipping cost on that product i feel you pay same amount for product in .com or co.uk (amazon)
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    Options
    It's items of under £135 that do not incur Import Duty. However items of £15 value and above do incur VAT and a £8+VAT collection fee from the Royal Mail or similar fees if another delivery company is used. VAT is also payable on the delivery charge on items of £15+ value.

If you can find something on Amazon that uses the Amazon global shipping then all fees should be included. I have ordered from the USA in the past via Amazon UK and did not have to pay anything on delivery and the value was above £15.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you all checked the latest MoneyTips email? I was having a look at this a couple of days ago and discovered the following which might help.

http://www.curiua.com/

This checks prices across Amazon's sites in France, Germany, Italy and Spain, converts them into pounds and compares them to the UK.

Some items and websites may incur a delivery charge though for some this may still work out cheaper than purchases made via Amazon.co.uk.
  • yessuz
    yessuz Posts: 259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have bought a phone from .com during black friday - Amazon reserved money for import duties. When returned it later - Everything was refunded.

You should check, as amazon indicates if:
    - any taxation will be applied
    - It will be shipped to UK.

but ye, especially, depending on the exchange rate, it is much cheaper to buy some things from Amazon.com
    I own an EV. AMA
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    Options
    Have you all checked the latest MoneyTips email? I was having a look at this a couple of days ago and discovered the following which might help.

http://www.curiua.com/

This checks prices across Amazon's sites in France, Germany, Italy and Spain, converts them into pounds and compares them to the UK.

Some items and websites may incur a delivery charge though for some this may still work out cheaper than purchases made via Amazon.co.uk.
    Towards the end of last year it was certainly worth doing, but now the exchange rate means prices are usually very close and the additional delivery charges and exchange rate charges frequently make it not worth doing. Checkout the cost on visa before proceeding. You need your banks conversion rate which is around 2%. Unfortunately visa exchange rates are crap and not the general rates>
    https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

A couple of other Amazon comparisons>
    http://comparamus.co.uk/
    http://priceonline.eu/

You could also check out Keepa firefox extension which offers the comparison and tracking/notification between Amazon sites when browsing Amazon.co.uk.

BTW it costs €5.5+(€0.6 per Kg) for delivery from Amazon Europe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure