Selling your soul to the devil

Options

Comments

• taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2017 at 1:02AM
    Options
    I notice a comping queen is pulling off the same old tried-and-tested manipulation job of her Facebook followers for the Rescue Remedy photo comp, where a public vote decides a winner.

Her script always goes something like this (I'm paraphrasing by the way, this isn't a copy & paste!):

"I hate public voting comps. They're so unfair. I really, really hate them.
    However, feel free to vote for my photo if you fancy. Here's the linky to vote for me.... [xxxxx]
    I'm not asking or expecting anyone to vote for me. In fact I don't even want to win. It would just cheer me up to get a few votes.
    Don't feel obliged to vote for me. I won't be offended if you don't.
    People should vote impartially for the photo they feel is the best. It's not right for someone to win just because they've begged all their friends to vote for them.
    But if you feel comfortable voting for my photo I'd appreciate it very much."

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The next thing that usually happens is that a 2 or 3 horse race emerges with a few days left until the closing date, and the script starts to intensify a bit....

"Remember that public voting comp I told you about?
    Well you're not going to believe it, but my photo's now got 273 votes and I'm only 10 votes behind the person in the lead.
    I've got no idea how that happened and I'm actually a bit embarrassed about it!
    But here's the linky anyway in case you haven't voted for me yet and fancy doing so!
    I know I said I hated public voting comps, but I did go to more effort with my photo than the person who's currently in the lead. He's obviously been asking loads of people to vote for him.
    It would seem a bit stupid if he was to win – I'm sure you'll all agree with me.
    But don't feel obliged to vote for me, honestly. Vote for the photo you think is best.
    Like I said, I really hate public voting comps.
    It's totally unfair that the winner is always the person who manipulated the most Facebook friends into voting for them."
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    I notice a comping queen is pulling off the same old tried-and-tested manipulation job of her Facebook followers for the Rescue Remedy photo comp, where a public vote decides a winner.

Her script always goes something like this (I'm paraphrasing by the way, this isn't a copy & paste!):

"I hate public voting comps. They're so unfair. I really, really hate them.
    However, feel free to vote for my photo if you fancy. Here's the linky to vote for me.... [xxxxx]
    I'm not asking or expecting anyone to vote for me. In fact I don't even want to win. It would just cheer me up to get a few votes.
    Don't feel obliged to vote for me. I won't be offended if you don't.
    People should vote impartially for the photo they feel is the best. It's not right for someone to win just because they've begged all their friends to vote for them.
    But if you feel comfortable voting for my photo I'd appreciate it very much."

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The next thing that usually happens is that a 2 or 3 horse race emerges with a few days left until the closing date, and the script starts to intensify a bit....

"Remember that public voting comp I told you about?
    Well you're not going to believe it, but my photo's now got 273 votes and I'm only 10 votes behind the person in the lead.
    I've got no idea how that happened and I'm actually a bit embarrassed about it!
    But here's the linky anyway in case you haven't voted for me yet and fancy doing so!
    I know I said I hated public voting comps, but I did go to more effort with my photo than the person who's currently in the lead. He's obviously been asking loads of people to vote for him.
    It would seem a bit stupid if he was to win – I'm sure you'll all agree with me.
    But don't feel obliged to vote for me, honestly. Vote for the photo you think is best.
    Like I said, I really hate public voting comps.
    It's totally unfair that the winner is always the person who manipulated the most Facebook friends into voting for them."

Eh?? Not being funny, but by asking for people to vote for her, isn't she just as bad as the bloke asking for votes?
    It doesn't make sense. Why shouldn't he win? Why is it stupid if he did?
    BTW, I've had a look at the photos on that comp, and there is two that has tons of votes. One of a sunset at what looks like Scarborough. And one of some woman holding an umbrella in a hot tub (I hate hot tubs, they should be banned ;) )
    But the votes don't add up, there are a lot less votes that what has been stated, so I wonder if the comp organisers have DQ'd them.
    So, I think that I was thinking of the wrong person who wrote the begging post (dying to know who it is now lol.)
    Either way, it is disgraceful behaviour. The bad side of comping rears it's ugly head again.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's exactly it, she IS doing the same as him. And all that rubbish about hating public votes is probably because she has to put more effort into winning.

I don't comp, so haven't seen the one in question, but going by your description of the two photos, I'm guessing hers is the hot tub one, as she said she had to put in effort to take it (setting up the camera, getting in the hot tub and holding the brolly up!) whereas the sunset pic was just snapped at the right moment.

Regarding the numbers, Taxiphil said he was paraphrasing, so the numbers he typed were probably made up.

Haha, I loved the line about not being manipulative, while being exactly that!
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whats up for grabs? Is it a loo roll?
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • dontone
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    That's exactly it, she IS doing the same as him. And all that rubbish about hating public votes is probably because she has to put more effort into winning.

I don't comp, so haven't seen the one in question, but going by your description of the two photos, I'm guessing hers is the hot tub one, as she said she had to put in effort to take it (setting up the camera, getting in the hot tub and holding the brolly up!) whereas the sunset pic was just snapped at the right moment.

Regarding the numbers, Taxiphil said he was paraphrasing, so the numbers he typed were probably made up.

Haha, I loved the line about not being manipulative, while being exactly that!

I've woken up a bit more now, and realised what he did lol. Apologies Taxiphil.
    I hate vote comps too, this is a prime example of why.
    BUT, I'm sure that the T&C's said that it is going to be judged by an independent panel, so all that begging may be a colossal waste of time.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• frenchfancy89
    Options
    :rotfl: i think i'm a bit late to the party, but i was just about to post about these exact same things!

It's the national lottery ones and comps to win kids stuff that are THE worst for sob stories. It's as bad as those 1 like = 1 prayer posts, if i could roll my eyes any further into the back of my head i'd be blind forever. "my hubby and i lost our goldfish this would make our dreams come true and we could finally take our round the world trip in memory of him..." for 100 quid... really?!

And am i just too paranoid or is it just NOT ok to post pictures of your babies or children publicly online and even worse for sob stories?
    Winnings 2017 - adventure outdoors book, £25 cheque, Aden & Anais muslins, Dinner at La Bonne Auberge, £5.70 TCB
    Wish List - Mobile Phone, TV, Laptop, Family Holiday, ££££, Weekend Getaway :starmod:

• Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: i think i'm a bit late to the party, but i was just about to post about these exact same things!

It's the national lottery ones and comps to win kids stuff that are THE worst for sob stories. It's as bad as those 1 like = 1 prayer posts, if i could roll my eyes any further into the back of my head i'd be blind forever. "my hubby and i lost our goldfish this would make our dreams come true and we could finally take our round the world trip in memory of him..." for 100 quid... really?!

And am i just too paranoid or is it just NOT ok to post pictures of your babies or children publicly online and even worse for sob stories?

I feel bad for posting pictures of my pets!
    2018 wins-12wins
  • dontone
    Options
    Blueyez wrote: »
    I feel bad for posting pictures of my pets!

lol. Don't feel bad. Pet pics are perfectly acceptable ('cos I do it) Not often, mainly when it is asked, but it beats some of the pics that are posted (especially by you-know-who, and the one who puts her kids on at Christmas)
    BTW, saw one the other day, think it was for sauce, and it said something like....
    'my dad would love these, but he passed away last month' :eek:
    Sorry for your loss but, was that really necessary? .........
    Be Lucky.

• Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    lol. Don't feel bad. Pet pics are perfectly acceptable ('cos I do it) Not often, mainly when it is asked, but it beats some of the pics that are posted (especially by you-know-who, and the one who puts her kids on at Christmas)
    BTW, saw one the other day, think it was for sauce, and it said something like....
    Be Lucky.

OMG! for sauce?! It's getting worse. I only post the pics when asked but It still feels weird. I do look at some comments and think why add a picture if they didn't ask?
    Well three months today is Christmas day! Advents are getting closer!...which also means no holes barred sob stories & pictures too.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • frenchfancy89
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    Be Lucky.

people really are either oversharing or desperate for ANY kind of win, quite worrying... i thought i had a comping addiction!
    Winnings 2017 - adventure outdoors book, £25 cheque, Aden & Anais muslins, Dinner at La Bonne Auberge, £5.70 TCB
    Wish List - Mobile Phone, TV, Laptop, Family Holiday, ££££, Weekend Getaway :starmod:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure