My 2007 spending diary

Options
Hi,

One of my plans for 2007 is to keep a spending diary, and record every penny I earn and spend. Earnings will include everything from my salary to any change I find in the street, or any small profit I make from odd jobs or ebay. Spending will include everything right down to a daily newspaper or a coffee from the vending machine at work. Obviously I want the earnings total to be as high as possible and the spending total to be as low as possible, but I think if I can do this for a year it will provide a real incentive not to waste money, and also at the end of the year I can see just how much money I do waste on "rubbish".

Anyone else ever done this?
Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I will be keeping to a spending diary, have done one this year but missed bits. This time I am sticking to it, and doing one for DP too as he's been the biggest waster this year. I did it this year and frightened the s**t out of myself at what I wasted! That was my lightbulb moment.

In fact SlimFast sent me a free diary this morning, as I had registered with them ages ago, so no excuses that's now my 'Slim SPENDING Fast' diary now :)

(if you look in the freebies board there is a note on how to apply, might have some left)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Snow_White_5
    Options
    AndyR wrote:
    Hi,

One of my plans for 2007 is to keep a spending diary, and record every penny I earn and spend. Earnings will include everything from my salary to any change I find in the street, or any small profit I make from odd jobs or ebay. Spending will include everything right down to a daily newspaper or a coffee from the vending machine at work.

I think this is a great idea. I've kept a spending diary before, but kept falling off the wagon, and I never thought to include earnings as well. This would make it seem more positive than simply listing all the money I've waved goodbye to. I'm going to start on Monday as well! :j
  • Mrs_Sparkle
    Mrs_Sparkle Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Options
    That's a really good idea. I'm too lazy to do this- I always forget :o But on the few occasions I have kept one I can definitely see where the wastage goes.

Good luck!
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I will also keep the diary for ever, as a reminder never to get into debt again!!
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • Snow_White_5
    Options
    Good luck!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Andy, I'd suggest you do more than keep the diary - you need to analyse it so you can see if/where you are overspending.

I'd suggest you go through it weekly with highlighter pens:
    Green - necessary, and cheapest possible
    Orange - needed, but not cheapest (e.g. buying milk from garage, or branded pain killers intead of shops own)
    Red - oops!!! Starbucks, magazines, sandwiches etc.

The orange is the most useful as, with a bit of organisation, you can buy exactly the same stuff but for less.

Good luck!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    I've been doing this since March much to the merriment of bf.

But I've found it really helps. So far it hasn't helped curb what I spend, but hoping the New Year will make me see sense.

We give ourselves £400 each out of our wages (rest goes on mortgage, bills, debt repayment and savings (this one hasn't happened so far)).

I've noticed that out of this £400, I manage to spend £100 on alcohol every month. Ridiculous!!! Gona stop this. I do a day by day of what I spend, then a breakdown which shows how much I have spent on each thing.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business