Cabot and Restons

Options
Hi All,

I am new to this so please accept my sincere apologies if I have placed this in the incorrect category.

I have got Cabot Financial's Solicitors, Restons on my back and I need a reply ASAP.

I have tried to add an image but as a new user it won't let me add an hyperlink and won't llet me insert a photo as a jpg? What is the point?

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clanceycat wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am new to this so please accept my sincere apologies if I have placed this in the incorrect category.

I have got Cabot Financial's Solicitors, Restons on my back and I need a reply ASAP.

I have tried to add an image but as a new user it won't let me add an hyperlink and won't llet me insert a photo as a jpg? What is the point?

Hi

Just type in what it is you want to show the forum :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

What's your problem with Cabot/ Restons ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Clanceycat
    Options
    This is the letter I have received now I have copied it word for word.

“We note you have recently filed a Defence to the court proceedings issued against you.

By way of explanation, Cabot Financial (UK) Limited is a debt purchaser. You allege that the Claimant does not technically own the debt, however, in line with the Terms and Conditions of the Credit Agreement, the original creditor had a contractual right of assignment. In other words, Lloyds was entitled to transfer their rights and benefits under the Credit Agreement to a third party and that right has been exercised. Around the time of assignment you should have received a letter from the original creditor advising you that the account had been assigned to a third party and you should also have received a Notice if Assignment from the Claimant.

Within your Defence, you have requested the original copy of your signed Credit Agreement. We fail to see why you have requested a copy of the Agreement as you have stated in your Defence that the original Agreement was in fact signed with Lloyds, therefore, by your own assertion, the fact that the Credit Agreement was signed by you, that you were provided with the facility and in turn utilised that facility has not been contested by you.

You have also asserted in your defence that the Claimant has used bullying and intimidating methods to try and retrieve the money owed. Under the Consumer Credit Sourcebook written by the Financial Conduct Authority, a creditor is allowed to ask you to pay and keep reminding you to pay your debts by use of reasonable contact. You have failed to provide any evidence that the contact you received from the claimant can be deemed as unreasonable.

In view of the information set out in this letter, we do not believe your Defence has any real prospect of success and we will therefore recommend to our Client that an application be made to strike out the Defence and to enter a Judgment against you for the full amount claimed together with legal fees and costs. Should you wish to avoid these further costs being incurred then we invite you to withdraw your Defence by completing the enclosed Form N9A and returning it to this office within 14 days.

We await your response”
  • Clanceycat
    Options
    “We note you have recently filed a Defence to the court proceedings issued against you.

By way of explanation, Cabot Financial (UK) Limited is a debt purchaser. You allege that the Claimant does not technically own the debt, however, in line with the Terms and Conditions of the Credit Agreement, the original creditor had a contractual right of assignment. In other words, Lloyds was entitled to transfer their rights and benefits under the Credit Agreement to a third party and that right has been exercised. Around the time of assignment you should have received a letter from the original creditor advising you that the account had been assigned to a third party and you should also have received a Notice if Assignment from the Claimant.

Within your Defence, you have requested the original copy of your signed Credit Agreement. We fail to see why you have requested a copy of the Agreement as you have stated in your Defence that the original Agreement was in fact signed with Lloyds, therefore, by your own assertion, the fact that the Credit Agreement was signed by you, that you were provided with the facility and in turn utilised that facility has not been contested by you.

You have also asserted in your defence that the Claimant has used bullying and intimidating methods to try and retrieve the money owed. Under the Consumer Credit Sourcebook written by the Financial Conduct Authority, a creditor is allowed to ask you to pay and keep reminding you to pay your debts by use of reasonable contact. You have failed to provide any evidence that the contact you received from the claimant can be deemed as unreasonable.

In view of the information set out in this letter, we do not believe your Defence has any real prospect of success and we will therefore recommend to our Client that an application be made to strike out the Defence and to enter a Judgment against you for the full amount claimed together with legal fees and costs. Should you wish to avoid these further costs being incurred then we invite you to withdraw your Defence by completing the enclosed Form N9A and returning it to this office within 14 days.

We await your response”
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Basically the gist of what they say is mostly true.

Although they should provide copies of documents that you request.

What part don't you agree with ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Clanceycat
    Options
    If they don't/can't provide the original signed copy of the Credit Agreement do I have a case?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Clanceycat wrote: »
    If they don't/can't provide the original signed copy of the Credit Agreement do I have a case?

You really need to send a properly executed CCA request to Cabot, along with the £1 statutory payment, it could have a bearing on the claim if they cannot produce anything, but all they need to do to comply is send a recon agreement.

You should really ask on Legal beagles :

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Received-a-Court-Claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure