VODAFONE - can't find my account

MachoShirts
MachoShirts Posts: 25 Forumite
edited 3 November 2015 at 6:45PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello,

There's been an outstanding balance from Vodafone on my credit file for quite some time. The account was cancelled around May 2014. I've been trying for six months to make contact in order to set a repayment plan, but they have no record of my account, phone number, debit information or address at all. As a last ditch attempt I've managed to get information passed through for an esculation, but I'm not too hopeful they'll be able to find anything.

The main problem with this is, without them having my account information, I cannot actually pay the outstanding balance.

What process would I need to go through in order to get this removed from my credit file? If there's no possible way to pay off an outstanding balance, I assume there would be some form of protocol to have it struck off since, hypothetically, it could just remain there forever. It's still being reported though, so ovbviously there's some form of reference still on their system.

Comments

• timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you've tried asking them for details of the account and they can't find it, try it from the other end. Write to them telling them that they've recorded an entry on your credit file for an account which they tell you they have no record of, and give them 28 days to either provide details of the account or remove it from your credit file.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi MachoShirts

The Vodafone company representative is a fairly regular presence on these forums - he/she may be able to look into this for you once they see this thread.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Maybe include 'Vodafone' in the thread title so they can find it easier?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warm feeling that it brings
  • Done and done. I've sent one letter two months ago and have also popped to a local Vodafone shop on three seperate occasions under advice from various members of the customer care/billing team, all to no avail.

Pretty angry a company can impact someone's credit without actually providing them a method to pay.
  • Does this rep visit often?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Does this rep visit often?

Hi,
    If the vodaphone rep doesn't pick this up, as previously suggested, you should write to them, explaining your concerns, and ask them to remove the information in exchange for payment of the debt, if you so wish.
    If they are unwilling, or unable to comply, then your next step would be a complaint to the information commissioner, within whose remit, this should fall.

https://ico.org.uk

The information won't stay there indefinatly, it will fall off your file after six years, if not taken down by the creditor sooner.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 November 2015 at 5:49PM

Hi again

Well now that you ask, from what I see elsewhere on the forum, the usual rep has been absent a little while and there doesn't appear to be anyone posting in his place at present. Sorry if I gave you false hope there - you may have to keep trying to contact Vodafone via other channels and/or contact the ICO in the meantime (see sourcrates' link above).

Dennis
    @natdbtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer

He's 'on holiday', and no-one seems to be taking his place.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    If more than 8 weeks since you first complained about this, then you can go to the Communications Ombudsman as well

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/complain-now-communications.html
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • I've contacted the ICO, who've stated to place a Notice of Correction on the credit file entry stating that I have been attempting to pay and they've been unable to provide me with means to do so, and that this falls on the grounds of the Ombudsman. They also said I could put in a Subject Access Request for them to find my account, but I'm unwilling to pay them to take my money.

So, Ombudsman time!

Oh, I called Vodafone again and they have no record of anyone looking into my case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure