I have 2 P45's - what to do?

Options
Hey all.

Quick summary

1. Left Job A in Dec 17 and got a P45 (not sent to new employer yet)
2. Started Job B in Jan but not liking it, so will be going back to Job A (just agreeing financials).
3. I will then get a P45 from Job B in Feb

What should i do? Just give both P45's to Job A?

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have the details from Job A appeared on your payslip yet, that is have the gross and tax from job A been included in your taxable pay to date and tax paid to date figures for job B.
    If not could you not let job B have your P45.
  • yus786
    yus786 Posts: 663 Forumite
    Options
    chrisbur wrote: »
    Have the details from Job A appeared on your payslip yet, that is have the gross and tax from job A been included in your taxable pay to date and tax paid to date figures for job B.

No, as i haven't given them the P45. I'm on M1

chrisbur wrote: »
    If not could you not let job B have your P45.

I could but, its all about the timing. At this moment, i am not sure who will process my LIVE Feb payslip. If i'm back with Job A, then they would be processing

Proper head scratcher, this one
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yus786 wrote: »
    No, as i haven't given them the P45. I'm on M1

I could but, its all about the timing. At this moment, i am not sure who will process my LIVE Feb payslip. If i'm back with Job A, then they would be processing

Proper head scratcher, this one

If you do not give your new employer a P45 HMRC will eventually send the details to the employer; so it is possible that these details will arrive in time to be included in a P45 that they issue.
    Either way it is the latest P45 that you should use.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Since you're currently working in job B (unless you'd left by the end of January?), surely you're going to receive a February salary payment from them and hence should give them your P45 to avoid another month with code M1...?

Also worth bearing in mind that unless you rejoin employer A by around 15th-20th February (depending on which day of the month they pay people), you may well find that you don't get a payment from them until the end of March as companies often have to submit payroll a week or more ahead of pay day - so I'd guess you want to avoid being over-taxed by employer B in February...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure