Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good to hear you have a bonus and can avoid hitting the CCs this month! :)

Any chance of a tax rebate at the end of the year?

Sorry you aren't feeling well. I have known people use the Fodmap diet to work out what they aren't tolerating, but I'm not sure if this is just for IBS. Hope you find what your culprit is.

I think my tax will work itself out over the course of the year. I am hoping DH will get a tax rebate as his tax code is so low. I think this is due to the company car they have him down for as a very sporty one he had for a few months. We will have to look into it when he isn't so stressed out with work.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope work and the diet work out for you.
    I often make diced pork in cider but never thought about using sausage. We've loads of sausage in the freezer so I think I'll give it a try. Never had kale. Is it like cabbage?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kale. Ugh. Have tried it. Cannot stand it. Even with it crisped up and coated in pure yumminess. Good luck!!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    Options
    Kale is like a strong cabbage, lovely covered in gravy but I even have it in smoothies (without the gravy;) ). It's DH favourite veg. You can get it frozen in Tesco or fresh just about anywhere. Avoid the stems as they are tough and bitter.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    I think my tax will work itself out over the course of the year. I am hoping DH will get a tax rebate as his tax code is so low. I think this is due to the company car they have him down for as a very sporty one he had for a few months. We will have to look into it when he isn't so stressed out with work.

Good to hear you had a nice time away!

Work has a lot to answer for. Let's hope the change of car pays off.

I had missed seeing you are G/F (sorry) - no wonder your food bill came to nearly £100! Sooo expensive... a couple of my relatives are G/F and one of them is also dairy free and sugar free... she feels it makes her arthritis worse and doing without it is a price worth paying for improved health. Lots of good wishes for your change of diet. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • XSpender
    edited 13 June 2017 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Internet banking done this morning and another couple of contactless payments for DH spending on lunches last week are showing. He spent as much on lunches last week as I did during a 5 day trip abroad (excluding the presents)! :eek: I don't think the £29 left in the food kitty will last us until the 29th.

Things to do today:

1) Hang out white washing - Done
    2) Put away yesterday's ironing, bedding and massive bag of underwear and socks
    3) Do a day's work ;)
    4) Put gammon in slow cooker for tea
    5) Cancel DS swimming lessons and request refund. Have to call after 4pm
    6) Try and find another stage 5 lesson for DS on a Saturday
    7) Eyebrows and nails or I will frighten tomorrow's clients
    8) Walk/run with the doggle

The swimming teacher is a cow and I pulled him out of lessons 2 years ago with her at another location and am having to do the same again :mad: DS isn't perfect and gets easily distracted but there are only 4 in the class, not 12 like the last place. DS is getting distressed when he has to go to the lesson. He got told off for looking her in the eye when she was speaking to him last week!
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: about the swimming teacher, that's completely unacceptable! I think you should have a strong word with her and when she speaks to you, tell her off for looking into your eyes when speaking!

Seriously though, how horrible of her, I hope your DS isn't too put off by her. I would definitely make a formal complaint, can you imagine how many poor kids have been affected?:(
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • XSpender
    edited 13 June 2017 at 9:03PM
    Options
    :eek: about the swimming teacher, that's completely unacceptable! I think you should have a strong word with her and when she speaks to you, tell her off for looking into your eyes when speaking!

Seriously though, how horrible of her, I hope your DS isn't too put off by her. I would definitely make a formal complaint, can you imagine how many poor kids have been affected?:(

We are not the only parents to have moved our children from the previous location due to the swimming teacher's behaviour.

I have cancelled his lessons from next month and the only alternative lesson they could offer me for the next 2 weeks we can't make.

DS is on the waiting list for another small group lesson elsewhere at almost double the cost but it is quite a long list so he may be waiting a while. I have a couple of other places to try. Otherwise it will be back to practicing at the pool with us on a weekend until a space becomes available.

Things to do today:

1) Hang out white washing - Done
    2) Put away yesterday's ironing, bedding and massive bag of underwear and socks not done
    3) Do a day's work Done ;)
    4) Put gammon in slow cooker for tea Done and it was yummy
    5) Cancel DS swimming lessons and request refund. Done but need to send email to confirm and cancel the DD
    6) Try and find another stage 5 lesson for DS on a Saturday Work in progress
    7) Eyebrows and nails or I will frighten tomorrow's clients - Eyebrows done, nails just need polish taking off
    8) Walk/run with the doggle - not done

I have managed not to spend any money this week so far but need some stamps, fathers day cards and to pay a cheque in so will get all this done on the way home from a meeting in the morning.

Diet is much improved this week although Monday contained lots more sugar than it should have. Today I had no sugar but that in baked beans but I have had 2 small slices of GF bread. The peanut butter will have had sugar too I suppose. A lesson for next week is to prepare some lunch options and stick them in the fridge.

Oh I nearly forgot to say I paid another £200 off the CC with interest bearing bit this morning :rotfl:
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can buy pea butter made just from nuts, oil and salt in the supermarkets, or splash out on a 1kg tub - meridian, I think. Then freeze a nana and whizz up nana + pea butter for absolutely scrummy 'icecream'.

I tried making my version of paleo chunky monkey bars today, using rasps instead of choc, and omitting the honey. Hmmm. Next time they'll defo have some honey in them!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    edited 15 June 2017 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Spent yesterday on fathers day cards x 3, stamps and 2 bags of my favourite crisps from the post office as I was hungry after a morning meeting.

After what I thought was a good breakfast, the crisps led to a day of poor eating. I should have just opened my mouth and poured the sugar bowl in:o I felt so tired I had to go and have a lie down and then took the dog out for half an hour to get some fresh air to wake me up!

I have realised that my breakfast porridge was too small so I got too hungry. I used to make that size and put protein powder in it which would fill me up but it is too small on its own. I doubled it today and it satisfied me until 11am.:)

I made flaxseed 'bread' for the first time today at lunchtime and it was delicious, definitely a recipe I will make often in the future as it was quick and easy and I have all the ingredients to hand. Today's eating has been grain and refined sugar free so far with a new recipe to try for dinner that is also grain free. I am planning to make a batch of apple muncher'sbanana and PB ice cream at the weekend to head off any evening sweet cravings an have some grain and sugar free cookie recipes to try.

I checked my interest bearing CC today to see if the payments I have made have come off the interest bearing part of the balance. The statement was produced today, which is good to know, and the payments have come off but with the spending on the garden last month the balance has actually increased on this bit to £1599.06 from £1199.17 :eek: although I had the balance of the total card right on YNAB. When I do the BT next month to DH 0% card in July I will need to see if this can be cleared or at least reduced. If not it is where I will continue to focus our overpayments.

Focussing on the small balances and their rates/promotion expiry dates is much more motivating than looking at the balance of £6k+ on this one card. Paying off the small balances seems more achievable and an overpayment has a bigger impact on reducing the balance. I do keep wanting to pay off the Argoss BNPL but at £50/mnth it is on target to be cleared before the due date so there is no benefit to paying it off. It's just the smallest debt and would mean 1 less to worry about.:o

I'm still a bit worried about the contract at work and what it means for my job. I won't know anything more until Tuesday and TBH we will probably be kept in the dark anyway. I don't want to leave my company but I will update my CV to be prepared if something does happen.

Not much else to report. I do have over £100 in YNAB available to budget and will have CB due in a couple of weeks so I may be able to make another cheeky debt repayment and add a bit to the mini emergency fund before the end of the month.

There is not enough left in the much reduced food budget for the rest of the month but I am hoping to pinch a bit from the booze budget as DH has not had much beer so far this month and is out on Saturday night so won't need any then. I might still need another £50 or so, will see what I can do to keep spends down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family