Casual job dilema!

Options
Hey Guys,
Hope everyone has had a good weekend! looking for some advice but not sure who to ask/where to post?
Basically I have a full time job mon-fri 9-5 but i also have a part time job 'supposed' to be 16 hours a week in a pub on a 'casual' basis (I don't have a contract) now the last 2 weeks the only hours I've had are 5 hours each week on a Thursday and Friday my boss has text me on the Saturdays and Sundays literally an hour before my shift starts saying they dont need me to come in
i was only keeping this job until December anyway and then I'll be leaving, but I've decided now its not really worth going in just for 5 hours a week and doesn't really benefit me anymore.
how would i go about leaving? can i just go in and say i wont be coming back and explain why? or should i work a 'notice' period even though i dont have a contract?
any help would be appreciated its been playing on my mind all weekend

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2017 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Casual is the word..........your boss seems to think it is.

Looks like he/she using you as a back up plan. Just call in and say no thank you and not work it.
    Or maybe wait up till you get you paid, whenever that is and then tell them. Saves any agro.
  • emdoug
    Options
    I usually pick my wages up on a Tuesday after my regular job, so may have a word with them tomorrow and just tell them I don't really need the job anymore I was only keeping it as I'm moving out in 2 weeks and I've also got a holiday booked in December so was just some extra funds for those but me and OH somehow got extremely lucky and won £1500 at bingo we had never even been before but my sister wanted to go for her birthday so we really don't need the extra anymore. I just feel bad about springing it on them out of the blue.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    emdoug wrote: »
    I usually pick my wages up on a Tuesday after my regular job, so may have a word with them tomorrow and just tell them I don't really need the job anymore I was only keeping it as I'm moving out in 2 weeks and I've also got a holiday booked in December so was just some extra funds for those but me and OH somehow got extremely lucky and won £1500 at bingo we had never even been before but my sister wanted to go for her birthday so we really don't need the extra anymore. I just feel bad about springing it on them out of the blue.

Why, they don't seem to feel bad about telling you an hour before.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Become as casual as the pub manager, call an hour before your shift and say you don't need the shift (or any others) anymore.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • emdoug
    emdoug Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    as much as I would love do that, I do enjoy going there occasionally for food/drink so don't want there to be any bad feelings if it can be helped. But seems I don't have a contract then surely I don't need to work a notice period? they also have plenty of staff that would be happy to take on my hours so its not like they would need to find a replacement either.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You do have a contract, you work, you're paid. What you don't have are written terms.

You can go now if you wish, but for the sake of good relations, let them know your wish to exit employment with them.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    If you are likely to ever need a reference for that type of work again then part on good terms.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's generally not a good idea to burn bridges by cancelling agreed work an hour beforehand, but I would be inclined to let them know you don't want to do any more shifts. If they have only be offering you minimal work anyway it might actually be a relief to them that have one less person to try to give hours to.
  • emdoug
    emdoug Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    It's generally not a good idea to burn bridges by cancelling agreed work an hour beforehand, but I would be inclined to let them know you don't want to do any more shifts. If they have only be offering you minimal work anyway it might actually be a relief to them that have one less person to try to give hours to.
    I think this might be the problem now summers over the pub has got quieter but as it was busier in the summer more staff were taken on and i think they know I don't mind losing a 'couple' of hours ( not 11) and I've got my normal job whereas most of the other staff only have the pub, I think I will just ask to speak to boss tomorrow in private when i pick up wages and just explain how i feel. Excited to get my weekends back and be able to make plans :T:beer:
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I did the 7day working thing for about 3 months, it was ok, but ye it's nice to have some time off.

It sounds like zero hours, so just say you aren't looking for extra money at this time, but he/she can ring you in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure