PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 10 October 2016

Options
Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 13 October 2016 at 9:56PM in Old style MoneySaving
Thank you, Valli, for last week's thread.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Welcome to the Weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Here goes...

Magical Monday - Barnacled Bathroom and Sociable Study/Pc Area
Level One...
Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
Throw away all those empty bottles of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, hairspray etc. I know they make the room look pretty but they are just cluttering up the place..!!
Level Two...
Clean baths, toilets and sinks
Remove and bin all those slivers of soap that you have been saving, do you really need them?
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three...
Clear clutter from floor
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment the pc while doing this (programs.. accessories..system tools.. defragment!.).. if you do the disc cleanup as well, clear all the cookies and temporary files too
Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Clean/wash the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I don’t want anyone electrocuted!!
Change hand towels and flannels
Extra mission:
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
  • Grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
  • Clean the radiators in these rooms
  • Pull out the pc and desk and clear under and behind it.. how much money did you find? Clean windows, hang up clean nets and draught-proof curtains and any table cloths/throws or other dust and grot gathering bits of fabric!
  • Wipe sticky and dirty marks off the walls and doors

Tantalising Tuesday ~ Masterful Master Bedroom & Loopy Landing
Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen.
Level Two...
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen.. do you need that winter duvet yet?
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level Three...
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
Extra tasks list:
  • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Put away those summer clothes from someones cupboard and get out the winter woollies.. don’t store anything that is past its best! Make a list of things you need to buy!!
  • Clean windows in these rooms
  • Check house for places where draughts are getting in.. doors, windows etc and see if there are ways to stop it!
  • Clean out that airing cupboard!!!!!! get rid of those things you don't need.. use dead towels as cleaning cloths etc.. be ruthless!!!! you REALLY don't need that 'thing' you've saved for 10 years.. 'just in case'

Wishful Wednesday ~ those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One...

Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
Level Two...
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Level Three..
Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extra task list
  • Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
  • Time for the Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box you’ll have to choose another area!
  • 30 minutes ironing
  • Pull out the beds, furniture and clean all behind them.. the skirtings and light fittings and everything.. get rid of all the things that are no longer required!

Tantalising Thursday ~ Kooking Kitchen and Dancing Dining Room
Level One...

Clean floors
Level Two...
Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
Level Three...
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
Descale kettle and iron
Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
Extra Mission...
  • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
  • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
  • Clean oven if you didn't do it last week
  • 30 minutes ironing.
  • Get in that food cupboard. Give it all a GOOD scrub out before placing the things you need to use soon at the front. Check dates and freshness on older things, and See if you can incorporate these into next weeks meal plan! Feel free to get carried away and do more cupboards!!!

Friday ~ Luscious Living Room, Handsome Hall Stupendous Stairs
Level One...

Vacuum floors and sofas
Level Two...
Dusting, even if around everything
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
Water any thirsty plants, wipe their poor neglected leaves!!
Level Three...
Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing in preparation for cold weather!! See if there are any that don't fit, past their best or just plain uncomfy which could leave the house!
Put up linings or winter curtains to keep out those draughts.
Extra Mission...
  • Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
  • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
  • Clean a window or two.
  • Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves
  • 30 minutes ironing
  • Get those uniforms, games kits, coats and things in the wash which you will need on Monday
  • Clean light fittings, skirtings even the ones behind furniture. Clean fire-surrounds. Wipe sofa's down. Clear as may hotspots as you can.. see if you can get it all into one pile instead of 15!!!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,778 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:20PM
    Options
    ooh first Thanks for the new thread Natty...

still going....

been to co-op. took bag of used batteries FERLINGGGGG
    Lots of 'useful' rolleyes.gifpaper shredded/recycled FERLINGGGyahoo.gifyahoo.gifTHIS SMILIE IS CALLED 'WOOTY'
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I'm in ladies. After a really !!!!!! week I am hoping for some normality this week. TY for the lists xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Biscuit_monster
    Options
    Evening,

Thanks for the (long!) list Natty, I'm in, and loving the wooty thing valli
    I promise to try hard xxxx
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well said atb! Been a bit of rubbish day here but tomorrow is another day right? Lots of paid stuff to do, bathroom needs a good scrub and my little office is always messy so there is work to be done!
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in again this week please :D
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you Natty for starting the new thread, and Valli for last week's list.

I managed to get out in the garden this afternoon for a couple of hours and planted up most of the bulbs and bedding plants that I bought last week. I also found a big fat toad living under one of my tomato pots as I cleared the old vines and took the last of the green tomatoes indoors for ripening. i was very pleased to see him/her - toads do a great job of keeping down the slug population :)

I finished my short assignment early this morning, and this evening I have been sticking labels on 84 envelopes, so it's been a productive day for me too. Well done Valli and everyone who has had a day of flingage, decorating, cleaning up after animals, running, baking, washing, dusting, childminding or just chilling.

I shall post the card to CY's family tomorrow, with love from 20 Flyfamilies.

I am not planning on doing much flying this week, as the house was cleaned from top to bottom before our charity AGM yesterday. We always have lunch together afterwards, so people see more of the house than if they were just coming to the meeting, IYSWIM.

Tomorrow I have college prep to do, and I have to fetch DGD1+2 from school and bring them back here for an early tea :) And I mustn't forget to make multiple copies of the playlets that we're reading at the Old Wives' meeting in the evening.

Hope everyone has a good week, and that LW's nasty meds get out of your system asap.

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round x
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in - thanks Natty :A

Hugs for everyone xx

Level One...

Level Two...
    Clean bath, toilets and sinks

Level Three...
    Clear clutter from floor
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening folks

Thanks for last weeks' thread Valli and Natty for this week

Well done with all the 'flinging' Valli and lurve the yahoo.gifyahoo.gifsmiley

Today I did the dailies
    Main weekly shop and put away
    Cooked three lbs of beef mince with veg and made Bolognese sauce
    Prepped another three lbs and veg to make Chilli t/m (in fridge)
    Did all the washing up, including horrible greasy stuff, DUPA
    Wiped over all the bunkers, cooker and micros

Clean baths, toilets and sinks
    Remove and bin all those slivers of soap that you have been saving, do you really need them?
    Clear clutter from floor
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom..
    Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Clean/wash the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I don’t want anyone electrocuted!!
    Change hand towels and flannels
    Extra mission:
    Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    Grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
    Clean the radiators in these rooms
    Pull out the pc and desk and clear under and behind it.. how much money did you find?
    Wipe sticky and dirty marks off the walls and doors

Sending hugs, sticks and spoons to all needing some
    Hope you all have a great Monday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the lists Natty, I'm in but doing my own thing.

After spending way too much time this past week out and about with a friend, plus work, my house needs a good going over from top to bottom. :o I also have lots of laundry which is breeding faster than I can wash it. So tomorrow, instead of getting up and putting the computer on, I plan to get stuck in as soon as possible after breakfast/DD leaves for school. I need to do some demoulding in all the rooms as well as the normal cleaning. I'm not going to write a to do list, I'll post a "its done" list at lunch time instead ;) Then I'm hoping to get another one posted at tea time ;)

See you all tomorrow :wave:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the lists.
    Welcome back Craftypixie.

Luckily most of the house is ok as MIL was round to dinner this evening so I had a blitz.
    Mr N and I spent a lot of time in the garden as there is still lots to tidy and prune....but my 'Toots list' shrubbery "mound" is now clear of all the ivy and the 3 main shrubs are pruned right down. It is now an area about 12ft square (well it's actually round), bare except for the 3 stubs of shrubs. What to do with it next is another decision.........
    All necessary washing, shopping etc has been done.
    Quite a few things on email 'to-do list' have been done, e.g. reading meters, checking bank statement, answering emails, making phone calls. Christmas Eve meal out with family is booked :eek:

Tomorrow Mr N is hopefully going for a long motor bike ride to visit a friend in Suffolk so I can get on with some work. I have 3 reports to finish and 1 to read through. I have assessments booked for Wed and Thurs afternoons, possibly some students to see.............and Mr N and I are going away for a long weekend Thurs eve - Sun so I'm desperate to catch up/ keep up. I suspect flying may be minimal.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure