Notifying the council - am I being unreasonable?

Options
Getting married mid January, phoned up council office today to clarify a few details regarding the Marriage Notice. Gave my date only to be told, "Oh you're leaving this quite late, it needs to be left in at least 28 days before the marriage date" ...eh yes I know, hence why i'm doing it now, just over 9 weeks before the wedding

I know with Christmas and New year in the middle a little longer wouldn't do any harm, but the council's own website says 8-10 weeks is the norm.

Plus my own priest was off on holiday for a few weeks and so I only got the signed forms returned yesterday.

Sorry this has turned into a mini rant, I just dislike people telling me I'm in the wrong when I'm quite obviously not.

sk56
Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66

Comments

• cashewnut
    Options
    A friend of mine went to a bridal shop six months before her wedding and they told her she was leaving it late! The council person was probably just making conversation :D
  • spam88
    spam88 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I did mine a year in advance, the earliest I could, I would have got myself into a panic if I'd left it as late as you lol. I'm sure there's no problem, it's just probably unusual for people not to do it earlier. Did you get an appointment okay?
  • browneyedbazzi
    Options
    The registrar here made a similar comment and told me to get in asap for my May wedding - even though they were only booking appointments about 2 weeks ahead and there was no problem at all getting an appointment that suited us.

I've no idea why they want people in so far in advance of the statutory notice period, as it seems unnecessary, but as I have to do it at some point anyway I just booked an appointment. didn't let the comments about leaving it late bother me - particularly as we're not having a long engagement and had just selected a venue and date so more notice simply wasn't possible.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    I've had the same comment from a few suppliers as well - booked photographer and flowers once I had the hotel and chapel sorted. Both of whom told me they would contact me in Oct/nov just to go through details.

In approx mid Sept, I emailed the florist with queries on flowers available etc at that time of year, and sent pictures of arrangements i was interested in having. Got no response at all.

Happened to run into her at a wedding show at start of Nov and mentioned to her about trying to get in contact with her, and her exact words were, "I really should get on the ball now and choose what exactly what it is I am looking before its too late"...eh yes thats why I sent you queries and ideas almost 2 months ago???

After this, I decided to give the photographer a call as he had said he would call me in Oct/Nov....only to be met with..."I'm too busy in the run up to Christmas, I'll call you after New Year"

I have tried to stick to the guidelines/time frames set out by these suppliers/council etc as I would assume they would know what they are doing, but why set out time frames if you actually mean completely different dates??

These are well known suppliers, who have come highly recommended for the end product they provide. I have a number of smaller local suppliers providing other services within the wedding, and have nothing but good words to say about them, both regarding the booking process and the service/communication I have received from them. One girl even apologises profusely if she takes more than a few hours to respond....it really pays to stick to small local companies.

Sorry for rant, I'm much calmer now as most things are sorted at this stage and its just a case of waiting....4 weeks to go!!

sk56
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am assuming that you are having a registrar attend a non-c of e wedding. Although you are within the statutory notice period, they have to schedule in registrar attendance for off site weddings. I am wondering if that's what they are referring to? X
  • skea56
    skea56 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Options
    Hi there
    Yes it is a Catholic ceremony but my own priest is doing it,no registrar required.

Anyway its done now,I have my app to go back and lift the schedule end of next week so it must have been completed in time

Sk56
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills