Escaping abroad

Options
My life is really messed up. I think I've been cursed with bad luck. Nothing ever seems to go right for me. I've suffered with serious depression for many years. The past 4 years it's been even worse.

So I've decided I'm going to move to Spain. I don't see any point in living if I stay here. My mum moved over there a year ago. There's nothing to keep me here.

I'm in about 15k of debt through credit cards and loans which I've built up since being at uni. I've not been extravagant. It's all mainly gone on basic living costs. I haven't worked properly since last year when my depression got worse.

In order to move I need to get into more debt. I've got a loan of 6k, which I will use to pay for the move and somewhere to rent and to keep me going until I find work. Then I will go for bankruptcy. I've read that if they decide that your bankruptcy was caused by reckless behaviour (which this last 6k is) then you'll get a restriction order. Can my illness be taken into account in the bankruptcy proceedings? I have been to the doctor about it several times and have been on anti-depressants. I know it doesn't really matter if I get a BRO because I'm not planning to come back.

I know that moving won't cure my depression, or my bad luck. But I would like a chance to start afresh with no debt. I do feel guilty about what I'm going to do, but if I stay in this current situation, I'm scared about what I might do.

Comments

• Tr@cker
    Tr@cker Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    I cant see how moving abroad will cure your depression-just change the scenery, probably better to stay here and face up to it.
    Its a moot point what qualifies as 'wreckless spending' -you could accuse the institutions of wreckless lending in their cut-throat pursuit of business.
    I know debt can grind you down but a colleague of mine just went bankrupt for 52k having blown most of the dosh on holidays he couldn't afford. He was surprised how easy it was to go bust and its a big weight off his mind.
    of course, he'll have to tackle the underlying problems that caused him to do this in the first place but he feels he has a fresh start.
  • DaisyBlue
    Options
    I can't stay here. It will all come crashing down soon. I'm barely working. Can't find a decent job. Living in a rented shared house which is hell. Dirty, lazy, selfish housemates and can't afford to rent a place on my own.
  • Tr@cker
    Tr@cker Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    Then do it and good luck.
  • DaisyBlue
    Options
    You're right. Sod it. Things couldn't get any worse.
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    DaisyBlue wrote:
    You're right. Sod it. Things couldn't get any worse.

Hi Daisy,

I can sympathise with your sentiments because we are thinking along similar lines after being declared bankrupt and finding that it's so difficult to pick up the pieces and feel as though we're part of mainstream society again.

But, don't you think you need something of a plan? What sort of work are you going to look for? Can you speak the language? What part of Spain and exactly where are you going to live. There's nothing like the thought of a new start but you don't want to taint that with the problems you've had in this country.

Why not put the money to one side, yr parents back account in Spain springs to mind, get your bky behind you in this country and meanwhile start putting some thought into what you're actually going to do.

I'm not saying don't do it; I'm saying when you do make sure it's going to work.

All the best whatever you decide.

Rich
  • DaisyBlue
    Options
    I'm going to move where my Mum lives. As to work I'll look for something straight away like a bar job maybe. And I'll start Spanish lessons pronto. Lots of the bars and pubs do free lessons. It's all about networking and my Mum knows people so hopefully I'd find something better. Send my CV out to lots of places. The cost of living is alot less over there. And it's a risk, but other people do it and you only live once.
  • severussnape
    Options
    hi daisy

you might fell better if you have the support of your mum nearby
    Light Bulb Moment 1st January '06-£82,000 :idea:
    Debt 6th August '06 -£91,500 :eek:
    Bankrupt 7th August '06 :o
    BCSC Member 17:T
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    DaisyBlue wrote:
    I'm going to move where my Mum lives. As to work I'll look for something straight away like a bar job maybe. And I'll start Spanish lessons pronto. Lots of the bars and pubs do free lessons. It's all about networking and my Mum knows people so hopefully I'd find something better. Send my CV out to lots of places. The cost of living is alot less over there. And it's a risk, but other people do it and you only live once.

Daisy,

You've done your planning.

Don't know how old you are, not that that really makes a difference, so go for it. I'm more than a little envious, we spent three weeks in Spain last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our experience is in retail and we were offered a job as a couple which was quite encouraging but need to tie a few loose ends up here before we go.

Once again, good luck

Rich
  • DaisyBlue
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments. My mind is just racing with thoughts about whether I should do this.

It's a bit scary deciding to make yourself bankrupt. Not sure I'll have the guts to come back and do it myself. I might see if Myvesta can help. But the chance to start again debt free would be wonderful. I wouldn't want to ever owe money to anyone again. I'm 28 and I don't want to miss out on any more of my life.
  • tight_jock
    tight_jock Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    Options
    DaisyBlue wrote:
    Thank you for all your comments. My mind is just racing with thoughts about whether I should do this.

It's a bit scary deciding to make yourself bankrupt. Not sure I'll have the guts to come back and do it myself. I might see if Myvesta can help. But the chance to start again debt free would be wonderful. I wouldn't want to ever owe money to anyone again. I'm 28 and I don't want to miss out on any more of my life.

Hi Daisy.
    Sounds like a great idea going abroad. If only I was 10 ! years younger ............................

You can also get advice from CAB or CCCS or Payplan which is FREE . Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
    :beer:
    TJ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family