What's the highest anyone can forsee interest rates reaching in the next 20 years?

Options
What's the highest anyone can forsee interest rates reaching in the next 20 years. I am going to take out a mortgage and wanted to see the worst case senario.

Comments

• Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi Blakea8k,

This is a difficult one, if you're my age (mid 20's) you will just about recall the days of 15% interest rates and negative equity. I hope that is well behind us but you can't tell in the long term as the rates are determined by so many other factors (think oil prices and bird flu). In the short term (ie 2006) I would have a guess and say that rates will probably come down to 4.5%. The only real way to protect yourself is not to stretch yourself too much, I think the average interest rate for the last 20 years has been about 7%, could you afford the repayments then? Also, if you can, make overpayments so that you have a buffer and won't be affected by negative equity (and hopefully pay off your mortgage early, thereby reducing the overall interest charged).

Sorry I can't help more!
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • moneysavingobsessive
    Options
    Since 1997 interest rates have fluctuate much less than previously. This (in my opinion) has been for two reasons: firstly the general economic climate; secondly we have an independent and credible monetary policy. My argument is therefore that smaller changes in rates are needed to have the same impact. The effectiveness is increased by the rise in debts etc over the same period. You may therefore reasonably expect the repo rate to stay within a fairly narrow band. Hazarding a guess of that range, I would suggest between 2-8%.

However, the MPC has to react to (as yet) unknown variables which could affect its inflation target. This makes forecasting very difficult, especially over a long horizon. A useful thing to do may be to read the bank of england's inflation report which I think shows their inflation expectations for 3 years, giving some indication of the future path of interest rates.

NB repo rates have been at 4.5% since Aug 05
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Options
    Look at other countries as well

I would be surprised to see double figures again, but that would be double current rates

As it happens, everyone is more sensitive to rates now because of the higher debt and also interest only mortgages
  • Creditcardkid
    Options
    I would think that rates would not go anywhere near the 15% or so that hit about 10-15 years ago now (7% would be a high I would expect - this is only based on a feeling for the way the economy is going (both ours and other international economies). As Imelda said, something like a bird flu epedemic, more oil price rises (or something like a terrorist attack on oil pipelines) could lead to worldwide rises.

Hope that makes things as clear as the muddiest of muddy puddles :rotfl:
  • Sultana
    Sultana Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I'm 42 and I remember taking out my first mortgage and then seeing the rate rise from 10.25% to 15.4% within a couple of years. So while I wouldn't expect rates to go back to 15% I think is worth considering how you would manage if your rate increased to one and a half times what it is today.

(As an aside I know people who took early retirement assuming they would continue to get 12-13% on their savings)
  • Girl_least_likely_to
    Options
    Let me get my crystal ball out ;)

I don't really have any words of wisdom but we recently took out a 10 year fixed rate mortgage (4.89%). We took this out to ensure that if the interests rates went mad we wouldn't be affected too much and felt that the 4.89% wouldn't fall that much further.
  • blakea8k
    blakea8k Posts: 81 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, i just wondered if we would see the highs of 15% or more again. So basically if i can afford to pay 7-8% i will be ok.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    blakea8k wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, i just wondered if we would see the highs of 15% or more again. So basically if i can afford to pay 7-8% i will be ok.

I think you just have to be sensible in your borrowing and throw as much money as you can afford at the mortgage. Problems arise when people are stretched to borrow enought to buy a relatively inexpensive home and then the interest rate goes up or they lose income for some reason.

I can remember 15% too, in fact it's partly because of the high interest rates in previous years that we paid off our mortgage early, we kept allocating the same amount to the mortgage pot even when the rate dropped.

Good luck.;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Sultana
    Sultana Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think anyone can predict much beyond about 3-5 years, but one of the (many) advantages of repayment mortgages is that they become less sensitive to rate changes as the years go by. If you take out a 20 year mortgage today and in 10 years time the rate doubles, you would be surprised how small your payment increase would be.
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Believe Sultana's hit the nail on the head.

I don't believe the world has changed such that 15% could never happen again. However, there doesn't seem to be much prospect in the near term. In the longer term, well interest rates are all relative to inflation, so if rates are high there's a good chance that your salary will have moved up as well. Couple this with having a lower outstanding balance assuming you've gone for a repayment mortgage, and the impact will be diminished. Diminished, mind, not removed.
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure