Is it worth swapping?

Options
mattp_3
mattp_3 Posts: 270 Forumite
I currently have a loan with Cahoot (6.9% APR) with £8999 outstanding (settlement figure) - I currently pay £297.53 per month and have 32 months left to pay (would cost me £9520.96 to stay with them to the bitter end).

The problem I have is that I need to get a mortgage and the monthly repayments to my loan affect the amount I can borrow - they deduct £297.53 x 12 (£3570.36) from my annual salary before calculating how much I can borrow.

Obviously I need to borrow as much as possible to stand a chance of getting a property in the UK (Don't get me started on that topic!!)

But if i borrow £9000 from A&L at 6.4% it will cost me £175.07 per month over 5 years - but that means I repay £10,504.20!!!

Surely this doesnt make sense? I would need to spend another £1000?? :mad:

Any ideas on alternative solutions ???

Comments

• fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably does, your spreading the payments over a longer period of time and hence paying more interest. Try getting a Life of Balance card, tend to be 1.9%, 2.9% and 3.9% and switch the loan to this, thus reducing your interested paid, you could try paying off extra some months to get rid of it quicker, you will need a mule card that allows Super Balance Transfers. Other option is to get 0% cards and keep switching the balance every few months.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Consolidate the loan onto the mortgage - hence no reduction to your income, just a slightly higher mortgage. If you want, pay the same amount off the mortgage as you would have done on the loan >>> no increase in total amount payable (in fact, a reduction as the mortgage rate will be less than the loan rate).

Refinancing the loan to another personal loan is a bit of a waste of time IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure