Credit report, default issue

Options
Miser_maz
Miser_maz Posts: 250 Forumite
Perhaps someone can advise me,
In july last year, asked vodafone to cancel a phone contract, which i sent via fax, I also notified my bank. That was the end of the matter for me, during which I moved house.
Unbeknown to me they never recieved the faxed cancellation notice, and began sending final warnings for overdue amounts, to my old address. I became aware of this when they phoned me at home (the number was transferred to new address), demanding the payment of £90 within seven days. Not knowing what the money was for,I disputed the amount demanded. After mulling it over, a few days, and considering consequences, I phoned them back and grudgingly paid the amount.
Now 6 months later, on applying for a loan I have learned that a default was issued by Vodafone at the time, and according to my credit file, shows that the amount of £90 was never paid. I have contacted vodafone who have admitted in writing that the amount was paid. But have no idea why its status has not been updated to show it was settled.
As this is seriously affecting my credit status, can anyone advise what I can do to salvage my credit record and if defaults be removed?
Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

A default stays on your credit record for six years. You can contact experian or equifax online and they will contact company for you as your account should now show as settled even though the default notice will remain on record for six years. Hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

Helen21
  • Miser_maz
    Options
    Thanks for reply, I have noticed some companies adverting on the web, of their ability to remove defaults etc from credit files, can this be done?
    I just feel so annoyed, I've had a clean record for years, and to now have it tarnished over such a petty amount seems ludicrous.
  • helen21_2
    Options
    I dont know about that, was just told a default stays on your record for six years and cannot be removed. But you can add you own piece of writing to your credit files in explanation! Sorry i cant be of much help!

Helen21
  • RenStar
    RenStar Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Miser_maz wrote:
    Thanks for reply, I have noticed some companies adverting on the web, of their ability to remove defaults etc from credit files, can this be done?
    I just feel so annoyed, I've had a clean record for years, and to now have it tarnished over such a petty amount seems ludicrous.

Hello,

sorry to hear about your troubles. My only advice to you is to steer well clear of those so called 'Credit Repair' companies, they're at best described as rip-off merchants - see: http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/index.html and believe me, there is nothing they can do that you cannot do yourself with a bit of research. A default does stay on your account for six years and there is nothing you can do about getting it removed, unless you can prove them you never owed them the money in the first place. Since you did and you paid, the best you can do is asked for the default to be marked as 'settled'. But even settled account stays on your record for 6 years, I'm afraid.

I had a dispute with British Gas over an amount, which they subsequently registered a default for. But since I never owed the money in the first place, I got Energy Watch involved and eventually they removed the default.

I'm not sure which report you got but with Experian, they print out the addresses of all the companies that have registered account information on your file on the last page of the report. Look through and see if you can find the one for Vodafone. It's likely to be thier consumer credit department or something. Write to that address, stating your case again and include any relevant receipts and see what they say. if this doesn't work, check both the Experian and Equifax website on how to take a dispute forward, although be warned, both companies will only act on advice from the creditor, but you may be able to add a notice of correction: http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/index.html or: https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/sitepage.ehtml?forward=gb_cs_cpo_howto#eight

Good luck.
  • jl1_2
    jl1_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I have a default and a CCJ on my credit history, both of which are legitimate, but just out of interest in Miser_maz's case, surely there must be some legal recourse? If Vodafone's actions were incorrect and they freely admit the amount was paid I can't believe there isn't _some_ way to force this information that you can prove is incorrect to be removed from your credit history?
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is that the information is correct. There was a £90 bill that was unpaid. Vodaphone pursued the bill and the debtor paid the £90, thus admitting the debt. The credit record should now read default - paid. But it will still say there was a default at some point.

If anyone ever gets a default that they don't agree with then you should fight it to the death. Paying it is a mistake. You can get a note added to your credit file that any default is disputed. This is not really any better or worse than a paid default but it costs nothing.

Credit repair agencies. They charge you for telling you what you can do for free, and you still have to do it yourself. The unscrupulous ones encourage you to lie to take advantage of some short term loopholes that rarely work and its illegal. Avoid.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Miser_maz
    Options
    Thanks to all for advice.
    The thing is at the time the demand came through I had no idea, why I owed the money, and wasn't given much time to check up on it, it was a case of "pay up now, or suffer". So I did pay up, just a few days late, and when I paid I was told by the debt collecters acting for Vodafone, that although the default may have been issued, as I had now paid it, it would now be lifted. But it never was, infact they didn't even bother to update it as being settled.
    Fast forward 6 months, and this week I asked Vodaphone to confirm in writing that the original amount was settled, and the best they do is write saying, yes the amount enquired about is "now" settled as if I'd paid them this week!
    And as for trying to get to the supposed "debt collecters" who issued the default, thanks to Vodafone's extra arrogant (chewing gum-filing nails) workforce, twice i've had the phone put down on me for my difficult questions tackling their small minds. The best advice I got was "I'll get someone to call you back" Needless to say I'm still waiting.

The best option is probably to contact, the credit reference agencies with the flea-bitten confirmation that the account was settled, and hope they will update the file.
    Thanks again
  • gibby
    gibby Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    to push vodaphone to remove the info send a copy of your original letter and threaten to take the matter up with the offical financial service ppl - and demand your money back

cant remember the name but there is one.

An investigation will cost vodaphone time and money - just keep pestering them even threaten to charge for your time and anything else you can think of -
    if no go also try a solicitor.

I had the same with barclays bank and I didnt even know they had closed my account and sold my piddly overdraft debt to some firm of muppets.
    My other bank manger told me what to do - they stopped the action when I threatened an investigation - as this costs £500 for a bank.

Gibby
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • helen21_2
    Options
    Hello again miser_maz

I had something a little similiar, and after numeral phone calls gave up and let experian and equifax sort it out and hey presto within just over a week they had it sorted :D

Helen21
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately I noticed I have a 6 month missed payment box recorded about three years ago on one of my student overdrafts.

Could anyone possibly tell me how seriously this will effect my credit rating. I didn't even realise there was a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure