What job experience needed for entry level retail..?

Options
What kind of job experience do I need for entry level retail..? Stuff like working minimum wage at Tesco, Sainsburys, ASDA, etc..?

What kind of stuff do they look for? What kind of previous job titles should I have..?

Admin..? Data entry..? Something else entirely..? I just don't know.

Those who have had jobs at places like this.. what kind of job experience does it take to get the job..?

I'm talking jobs a bit like this:

TESCO
Customer Assistant - Personal Shopper - Part Time - Croydon
Hours: 15
Salary: Competitive
Main Responsibilities
The Customer is at the heart of everything we do.
It’s your responsibility to ensure:
Customers get the finest shopping journey.
Customers are always able to get the products they need.
Customers are excited by our promotions and find our aisles welcoming.
Customers have a slick and speedy checkout experience.
Customers leave our store feeling valued and satisfied.
Whether you are looking for flexibility to suit your lifestyle or the opportunity to progress your career, this can be the role for you.

LIDL
Customer Assistant - Full-time - West Wickham (NEW STORE)
For our Customer Assistants, quality is not just a passion, it’s a way of life! Putting the same care and attention into the little tasks as they do with big ones, our Store team know how important their hard work is to the success and growth of our business.
Working as part of a diverse and dedicated team, you will love the buzz and energy of a fast-paced retail environment. You thrive on a challenge so you will love the fact that there is never a dull moment in store and always tasks to be done.
Above all else, our Customer Assistants are the face of our business, providing great service to our loyal customers. If you have a natural flair for providing outstanding customer service and are looking to become part of strong team with varied shifts, this could be the perfect opportunity for you!

KFC
Team Member - Full Time
Number of Positions: 10
Contract Type: Full Time
Salary: £4.00 - £7.20
Main Responsibilities
To provide each customer with 5* customer service both as Cashier and Lobby Host (we call it Customer Mania)
Cooks and serves fries and serves and packs all products to KFC brand standards
Use the till and comply with the cash handling policy and security measure of the management.
Prepares the packing items and keeps the packing area and its equipment clean and tidy to the standard required.
Ensures the correct use of the holding cabinet in respect of temperature, water content and holding times.
Works closely with other staff to develop a team spirit.
Undertakes Lobby Host duties to keep the customer service dining area and front counter clean and tidy.
To comply with all health and safety regulations to ensure the safety of themselves, the team and our customers

Anything you can find on a high street... Minimum wage style jobs... What do I need in my work history to get one of these?

Thanks

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    They like to see things like
    Customer service
    Cash handling
    Tidiness
    Working in a team
    Industriousness
    Interest in the shop/sector
    Interest in progression/looking at it as a career long term
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 September 2016 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Customer Mania? Jeez, I'd be running for the hills. Just can't manage to fake that level of enthusiasm.

ETA - it's not about previous job titles it's about transferable skills. So rather than the job description, you need to look at the person specification which more clearly identifies the particular attributes they are looking for.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have thought these were entry level jobs. If you can show up on time, do the job satisfactorily and be pleasant to customers, read and write, have basic numeracy and are legally entitled to work in this country, I doubt they can really demand much more. What they want is reliability and customer focus.

If you have never worked before, have you done voluntary work from which you could obtain a reference? Would school/college not give you a reference? HTH.
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    These sorts of jobs you don't need experience for. It might help, but plenty of students do them part time and they don't have previous job experience - I started in one at 15 so without GCSE English/Maths even. You need to convince them you'll turn up, be polite to customers, can read/write/add up and generally do what you're told.
  • Polarbeary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Customer Mania? Jeez, I'd be running for the hills. Just can't manage to fake that level of enthusiasm.

ETA - it's not about previous job titles it's about transferable skills. So rather than the job description, you need to look at the person specification which more clearly identifies the particular attributes they are looking for.

When one goes into KFC it isn't like you get amazing service anyway is it? In fast food service it's basic politeness and efficiency.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Jobs in retail are ultra competitive (basically because they are unskilled), and you will be going up against people who have years of working on a shop floor. Transferable skills will only take you so far. What experience do you have of dealing with customers face-to-face? I would recommend that you get some volunatry experience at your local charity shop or museum etc. to improve your chances.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last time I was in a KFC the assistant could barely speak properly and couldn't make eye contact.

At least I know it's a mania now.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Customer mania and team spirit all on minimum wage. Not asking much, are they.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Last time I was in a KFC the assistant could barely speak properly and couldn't make eye contact.

At least I know it's a mania now.

That sounds like "zombie mania" very common in shops in our area;)
  • Alcione_D
    Options
    1.If you want to gain experience in retail, volunteer for a charity shop.
    2.If you know anyone who has worked in retail or currently works in retail, ask them to recommend you.
    3.If you want to work for somewhere like KFC or Pizza Hut, visit the branch in person. That's how I landed my previous Pizza Hut job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure