MetLife being recommended by IFA

Options
1235»

Comments

• RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Wel I have had a further meeting with the IFA today, and I think that we are leaning towards the Prudential with a cautious fund.
    I just wasn't comfortable with MetLife as I had never heard of them, so I am quite happy now.

IFA is going to apply for a new CETV as the one I had ran out as the trustees took that long to forward it to me and also I have dithered with my decision.
    I will keep you updated how I get on.
    Thanks to everyone for their opinions. :T
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 3:28PM
    Options
    RADDERS wrote: »
    Wel I have had a further meeting with the IFA today, and I think that we are leaning towards the Prudential with a cautious fund.
    I just wasn't comfortable with MetLife as I had never heard of them, so I am quite happy now.

FYI MetLife is an enormous US insurer and has been in the UK market for quite a while. I have my long term care insurance with them. I don't mind buying straight insurance from an insurance company, but would only consider using an insurance company for pension income for an annuity to guarantee a base of income. I have 95% of my drawdown pot with Vanguard to keep costs to a minimum.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

A tangent but:

"The pro’s trick to turn your savings into a reliable, low-risk income" - a ten year plus strategy invested entirely in cash which at the time delivered returns of 2.79%pa - and now more like 2.25%. I assume this is "pro" in the sense that Titus Bramble is a pro footballer.

The article is from August 2015 and includes this gem: "Markets are still waiting for the Bank of England to start increasing rates but there are signs it could happen within months. That will push savings rates higher. The best cash rates are already climbing, albeit slowly, as "challenger" banks compete to establish themselves." To save you checking Moneyfacts, if you'd done this you would now be looking at returns in the region of 2.25% per annum rather than 2.75%.

Now, obviously I can't blame the Telegraph for not having a crystal ball, and pretty much everyone will have said something along the lines of "interest rates are bound to go up eventually" in every single year since 2009. But if you can read this article in 2017 and still not see the risks in putting money which is to be held for 5-10 years in cash then so be it.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, if this isn't too late, you should be aware that MetLife have today confirmed they are withdrawing their guaranteed products from the UK market.

https://www.metlife.com/content/dam/metlifecom/uk/homepage/helpful-resources/intermediaries/retirementinvestments/workingtogether/WM_PressRelease.pdf
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure