Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Options

Comments

• MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hornetgirl wrote: »
    When I did the Big Issue walk last week I met a lovely lady who volunteers for the Barons Court Project, a small charity which supports the homeless and those who are living with mental health issues. They have been given the opportunity to hold a bucket collection at Chelsea FC if they can get enough votes. I'm not after money, just a quick click of your mouse if you can spare a minute.
    Link on the charities board here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72233964#post72233964

Thank you x

Voted, worthwhile cause. xx
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    Enterprise. hugs xxxx

Anon wrote: »
    £1200+ in points? Who would ever get get that many ...? Oh wait, give me another few years and I may have doubled up to that :D.

Anon

I thought there was to be a double up in Feb.... What are you going to do with all your points?

mhoc wrote: »
    And my other major news this afternoon is I finally got OH to clear his messy corner of the living room :j Its only taken me 30 years to get him to finally completely clear it out - more or less a minor miracle

Firstly when I suggested that this afternoon was THE day for doing it he tried grumbling, said the sofa could not be moved out which of course it could. Then I made him completely bottom out - everything came out from behind the sofa, the floor between the sofa and the cabinet, the glass cabinet itself was emptied, the window ledge ...
    The mound in the middle of the living room floor was horrendous - honestly it would have reduced most people to tears, it was so much worse than I even imagined.
    I vacuumed and wiped down everything including the mess behind the cabinet as well as inside, the window ledge everything was scoured.
    Mostly OH had to sort through the mess himself which he was not totally happy about but he had to do it- a box for paper recycling, another of card, the wash basket full of old computer CDs were binned plus masses of nameless odds and sods, big pile of DVDs and other odds for the charity shop, big mound of railway magazines which are also getting recycled, washing machine load of socks and 3 fleeces :(
    All thats gone back into the cabinet are 2 cameras and a small tablet in its case, 2 sets of DVD sets in their cases, 4 of his train models. The only railway stuff was a glass round thing and a round metal thing ( nameless things which he is sentimentally attached to ) and I gave him a plastic wallet for photos. Even his medicine stash has been re homed although I don't know where to

- and thats it - about 95% all gone

The window is now clear so we have a good view afterwards of the bird feeder and the woodpecker enjoying himself on the peanut feeder :D

Your description of his corner made me :eek:

I would have binned it all years ago whilst he was out of the house and banned him from buying railway magazines! You must have the patience of a saint. :):):):)
  • MKS
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    My two cook from scratch too MKS. I taught them a few dishes before they went to uni but they've returned teaching me stuff:T:T

:T:T Life and learning are always a two way thing.
  • MKS
    Options
    tweets wrote: »
    :footie: Marmite good luck today :footie:

n2emg2.jpg

Seconded. Please let them win.
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    Options
    pippo wrote: »
    Crikey TS, I'm not offended, sorry if it came across that way. Just saying that I have been trying to sign up to do volunteer transporting, but they are full up round here. My friends OH does it and I think the people he takes must be well impressed when he turns up in his new Jag! He sometimes does trips over 100 miles too.

You are right about the early booking though.

No need to apologise what you wrote didn't suggest for one second I had offended, I just thought about how my little moan may have come across to any volunteers. :o

What made me cross is how many other poorly people had they got out of their beds so early for no one to turn up. It used to take me 10 minutes just to get mum out the door so like gocat had her ready at the gate...

I hope gocats mum got on ok yesterday.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole. :T:T
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety:o and risk assessments:o, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff:o

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true:)

What do you think?:)

Excellent idea!

I've just seen something similar on my facebook feed. In a local group a couple were trying to raise funds (crowdsourcing via justgiving) to go round teaching people how to cook. Then I looked in detail and they want to go round Europe! Sounded to much like they were trying to raise funds to go on a holiday to me. But crowd sourcing through Facebook local groups may be a way to reach out to people and get some funds for ingredients.

Morning folks :D

Still catching up on yesterday's goings on but a bit pushed for time this morning so it might take a while :rotfl:

I need the Elite help please. I need to find the cheapest way for some friends to come to bristol from stockport by train on 24th or 25th March and return on 26th March. So far it's looking at about £150 :eek:

I'll say thank you now but will be checking back in later :)

Edit - I found megabus return from Manchester for around £15 return so have passed the info on

Virgin trains (west coast) have a sale at the moment.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [SIZE=+1]hornetgirl was yesterday's smartest player![/SIZE] star.gif

:):)

28 players played.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

[SIZE=+0]Today's Topic (Saturday): Literature 1 : Easier

[/SIZE]7232e244ff185fe54194e2e5390eda2d.jpg
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• MKS
    Options
    We're okayish this morning, had a tearful phone call with DD yesterday so that probably helped.

We have to look at it positively, he was in pain and bed ridden, and I think he had given up on life, so it is better this way than having a shell of him hanging on. It just leaves a gaping gap in our lives.

Probably not the right thing to say but please take it as it is meant.... try looking at it from the other way.
    Think of the gap in your lives that he filled for so long and the happiness that he bought to you. :A x
  • Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :o:o:o

Trying to find a nice cheap hotel in Dublin - busy busy busy :o
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• MKS
    Options
    Car hire would be equally, if not more expensive than the train or Nat Ex :( it's for 2. im keeping everything crossed that it works for them!

Check out Ryanair car hire.. they give double the difference if you find it cheaper ;) Sometimes works out for free.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure