PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Vegan Egg Substitute - Veganegg

Options
I've just tried the new Veganegg egg replacer:

Link

It's actually really good - although needed more black salt to increase the egginess.

I got mine on the recent H&B 'buy one, get one half price' promotion as I'd been put off 'til now by the price tag.

I've only used it for omelettes and scrambles so far but am going to try a quiche tomorrow.

It will definitely be good for times where the 'egg' is required to set rather than just act as a binder.

Really pleased so far.... anyone else use it?
:hello:

Comments

• OldMotherTucker
    Options
    I've just tried the new Veganegg egg replacer:

Link

It's actually really good - although needed more black salt to increase the egginess.

I got mine on the recent H&B 'buy one, get one half price' promotion as I'd been put off 'til now by the price tag.

I've only used it for omelettes and scrambles so far but am going to try a quiche tomorrow.

It will definitely be good for times where the 'egg' is required to set rather than just act as a binder.

Really pleased so far.... anyone else use it?

We were given some at the Vegan festival in Pompey last month but I wasn't that taken with it TBH! We had it scrambled in breakfast burritos but it didn't 'add' anything.

I don't imagine I'd enjoy an omelette made out of it either - I accepted a long time ago that eggs were off the menu - same with cheese and meat. I don't like any of the substitutes:(:(:(

Do you use aquafaba?
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Lol - catching up with vegan daughter and she tells me that everyone in her Halls complained of how eggy her place smelt after scrambling it in the shared kitchen:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What sort of shelf life does this have, please? I looked at the link (thanks Tiddlywinks) but couldn't see that bit of info (or I'm just not looking properly.)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • OldMotherTucker
    OldMotherTucker Posts: 8,593 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2017 at 1:55PM
    Options
    The freebie we were given had a really short date on it - just days - maybe that's why they were giving it away!

It's basically a flour made of dried algae so I'd assume it's got a longish life if unopened . . but I won't be buying it again - I don't miss eggs!

ETA looking on Amazon - a year or more . .
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that, OMT. My thought is maybe it'd be a good store-cupboard item for when I run out of eggs, which I do on a ridiculously regular basis. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wasn't that taken with it TBH! We had it scrambled in breakfast burritos but it didn't 'add' anything.

It doesn't have that strong a flavour - I added more black salt, some mustard powder, some Maggi's sauce and ground pepper.

Then had it on toast with brown sauce... much preferred it to scrambled tofu.

Do you use aquafaba?

Not really - I guess I've just been conditioned to not trust the brine of beans... I should give it a go as I'd love to try meringues with it.

Lol - catching up with vegan daughter and she tells me that everyone in her Halls complained of how eggy her place smelt after scrambling it in the shared kitchen:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The smell is strong because of the black salt BUT the taste is not that strong... and the smell soon disappears.

I shall keep using it as I've been really impressed.
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    What sort of shelf life does this have, please? I looked at the link (thanks Tiddlywinks) but couldn't see that bit of info (or I'm just not looking properly.)

The stock from H&B has a use by date of end May 17 so not that long... and it's only just back in stock too.
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    It doesn't have that strong a flavour - I added more black salt, some mustard powder, some Maggi's sauce and ground pepper.

Then had it on toast with brown sauce... much preferred it to scrambled tofu.

Not really - I guess I've just been conditioned to not trust the brine of beans... I should give it a go as I'd love to try meringues with it.

The smell is strong because of the black salt BUT the taste is not that strong... and the smell soon disappears.

I shall keep using it as I've been really impressed.

It just wasn't my cup of tea! I can't stomach tofu either - just don't like the texture of it.

The trouble with black salt is the sulphur - it doesn't do me any favours whatsoever nor does jackfruit . . each to their own though.

I was distrustful of chickpea water too especially as we were always taught to 'rinse thororughly' but I first had it as the egg replacement in chocolate cake and the difference was undetectable!
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was distrustful of chickpea water too especially as we were always taught to 'rinse thororughly' but I first had it as the egg replacement in chocolate cake and the difference was undetectable!

Do you have the recipe please? I've found cakes a real struggle - they are always dense and flat... even after tinkering with more raising agents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport