PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze shepherds pie?

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Yes you can freeze it...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • cannylass_2
    Options
    Should be fine, have frozen mash many times and no problems:D
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..... ;)
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Never used quorn, but have frozen shepherd's pie several times - usually because we've cooked too much. Always turns out ok.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    Yes.
    Have never frozen cooked quorn mince. But I have just taken a shepards pie out of my freezer for tonights tea... and it is made with Beanfeast instead of mince. I have made shepard pie this way and frozen it many times before... lovely:D
    Enjoy

PS... the shepards pie I took out of the freezer today, has half mashed spud, half mashed turnip... mashed together. I had to use up the turnip or it would have been thrown out... adds a nice wee twist... and veg if you have fussy kids. Yum Yum
  • nickiboop
    Options
    however remember to defrost before putting in oven and then dont drop on floor like I did when I realised it would take hours to cook dinner!

glass filled shepherds pie EVERYWHERE!
    Only two big facts are known for certain: you are on a large, spinning rock hurtling through lonely space at about 67,000 mph, and one day your body is going to die. Will a new pair of shoes really help? :p

Weight at lightbulb moment 13 7lb
    goal for Christmas 12 7lb! :rotfl:
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I always freeze it as i make enough for 2 dinners in one go,so much easier
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I freeze shepherd's pie, but because it's not something that you can stir I find it takes a long time to reheat through.
    I quite often freeze the mince & mash seperately, then put the meat mixture in the oven and give the mash a blast in the microwave before putting it on top of the mince.

Polly
  • Little_Miss_Saver
    Options
    I always batch cook shepherds pie and freeze it, but not the mash!! I make the mash fresh each time then add it to the mince towards the end of cooking.

LMS xx
    Mortgage Balance 1st May 2009 £94749.00 :(
    Current End Date 1st April 2039.
    Total Overpayments to date £950.00 :j
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that it can easily be frozen. Just a word to the wise about freezing re-constituted mash, the likes of "Smash" etc. It defrosts to an unpleasant grey, and some of the water separates in a most unappetising manner. Good old H.M. scratch mash seems to defrost just fine though.
    T
  • Curious_Moose
    Options
    If you make a large batch and want to freeze some, is it best to freeze it:
    1) After you've just heated the mince, carrots etc in the frying pan and the potatoes have just been mashed and put on top of the mince etc in a pyrex dish.
    2) After you've done the above and then cooked the pie in the oven for however long it takes when it would then be ready for eating.

Letting it cool down in both cases before sticking it in the freezer!

Ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport