PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick and sometimes obvious time savers..

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »

I have a box on the table by the door to dump wallets, change, phones etc. & key hooks so things don't go missing when u r in a rush.

Please do be very careful that this box is not visible from your front door or that items, especially car keys or house keys are not within reach of a long stick with a hook on the end which can be poked through your letter box by a potential thief.

The police in our area are continually warning us of this as car keys or house keys can be "fished" in this manner and cars stolen from driveways.
  • Primrose
    Options
    If you've got an older car which needs an annual MOT, you can protect yourself from forgetting it's due by signing up for an annual reminder.

Get a free text message or email by going to the official Gov.UK website: www.gov.uk/mot-reminder ...

They'll give your a warning a month beforehand, and a follow up a fortnight later if the MOT hasn't yet been completed. You just have to enter your vehicle registration number and the system remembers you and does the rest !

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Last thing at night before going up to bed during the cold weather I measure my porridge and water into the saucepan, so when I make it in the morning it takes me a couple of minutes to bring to the boil and its piping hot and ready to eat.I prefer proper porridge ,not the ready-brek sort of instant mush :):):)
  • Primrose
    Options
    I laughed at that Jackie. I had a friend who measured out her porridge oats into a Pyrex bowl before bedtime ready to put in the microwave in the morning and one day she came down to breakfast and found mice had scoffed the lot, leaving a trail of droppings all over her worktop
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My time saving tip would be to keep ironing to an absolute minimum.:)

I know some people who iron absolutely everything including socks and others who iron nothing. I've struck a happy medium that suits me fine.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    One thing I try and stick to is "time and motion study" on things.

So I write down my shopping list in the order I'm going to come to shelves in the supermarket/shops etc in town - so I'm not "doubling back" on myself if I can help it.

When I got my new kitchen recently - I spent time standing in my old kitchen visualising how I'd do common tasks (eg doing the dishes/making bread etc) to have the kitchen done in the most "time and motion conscious" way possible.

So yesterday's breadmaking session in it, for instance, went:
    1. reach to wall cupboard containing breadbaking tins and immediately put them on worksurface beneath ready for filling with dough.
    2. move hand further downwards to cutlery etc drawers to get utensils I use.
    3. other nearby cupboard for measuring jug.
    4. Into larder - where I picked up weighing scales from left-hand side and then reached to right-hand side for ingredients I need.
    5. As I use each ingredient its put on nearest bit of worksurface to larder and then, when all ingredients have been used and are there, transfer them all back into larder.

I've worked out a weekly housework timetable (not yet being firmly adhered to - but I'm working on it:rotfl:) - which includes things like doing the hoovering in a time and motion conscious way, ie:
    - taken out of hallway cupboard to sitting room 2' feet away and hoovers the sitting room and then down the hallway to the bedroom to do that
    - left in bedroom overnight (only me to notice it)
    - next day it does the next room to bedroom (ie my study) and then hoovers the hall as it's taken back down the hall to put back in its cupboard there.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    maman wrote: »

I know some people who iron absolutely everything including socks and others who iron nothing. I've struck a happy medium that suits me fine.
    I iron all 'outside' clothes, such as trousers, shirts, dresses etc.

I don't iron towels, tea towels, socks, undies but I do iron my lovely 100% Egyptian cotton bedding.

That's my happy medium. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 6:15PM
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Last thing at night before going up to bed during the cold weather I measure my porridge and water into the saucepan, so when I make it in the morning it takes me a couple of minutes to bring to the boil and its piping hot and ready to eat.I prefer proper porridge ,not the ready-brek sort of instant mush :):):)

My porridge and milk is put in a small bowl and goes onto a fridge shelf overnight.

Next morning I haul it out and put it in saucepan on hob and add a bit more milk (as required). Couple of minutes heating and = job done and put the toppings I want on top of it (fruit/seeds/etc).

I start the kettle boiling for water for the coffee I will have with toast after my porridge as soon as I've got the porridge heating up on the hotplate. During that couple of minutes it gives enough time to be able to wipe up/put away a few of the dishes I washed the previous evening - whilst I'm waiting for my porridge to cook. Yep...more time and motion stuff, as the crockery has been arranged as far as possible in my wall cupboards in accordance with being as near as possible to where I'll want it. Eg my drinks and mugs are just over bit of worksurface kettle and toaster are on. Glasses for cool drinks are in nearest cupboard to fridge and so on.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I guess those of us who choose not to engage with social media could discreetly pass away and nobody would know we,ve gone !
    Very true; I have no family at all, and Mr LW only has a sister and a cousin, neither of whom he is regularly in touch with. We don't use Faceache or any other social media site, so we could both pop our clogs and no-one would be any the wiser.
    maman wrote: »

Oh gods, my mother used to do that; and wondered why the elastic in her knickers wore out so quickly!:rotfl:
    Our iron only sees the light of day if we've tickets to the opera or something like that, and Mr LW needs an ironed shirt; or when I've done a hanky wash, as they fit in the drawer much better ironed.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I did the same thing when I designed my kitchen, moneystooshort
    tomention, and my sister always comments on how easy it is to use! It's only small so planning was essential. I love the fact that I can empty the dishwasher without moving very far from it at all. A big double- doored larder is great for unpacking shopping and preparing for baking sessions. Grouping items in plastic baskets in the fridge and larder also saves time when moving items in and out.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure