Dentist didn't advise me of costs...help!

Options
Hi, just wondered if anyone could advise me. I went to the dentist last week and she said I grind my teeth. She asked if I wanted a mouth guard. I said yes. She took an impression of my lower teeth and that was it. I paid for my NHS check up and left. Well, I just phoned up now whilst noticing my insurance doesn't pay for any type of mouth guard and they told me that it would be in Band 3 and would cost £233.

I said I was not told of the cost (and naively I didn't ask) so I need it to be cancelled as I can't afford it.

The receptionist told me to phone back Monday when the dentist is back in. I am not paying that, plus I was not told and never signed anything. Can the dentist do anything to make me pay, like send an invoice or something?

I am shocked that my dentist didn't have the decency to tell me how much it would cost, it came across that it was no big deal.

Any advice would be great, this is kind of freaking me out!

Thanks

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why did you not ask first?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • pamrleader
    pamrleader Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Stupidity! I also thought it would be covered in my insurance.

But shouldn't she have told me the cost?
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Were you not given a treatment plan? It's a blue form that details your treatment and the cost.

If she's taken an impression it's likely they will have been sent off for your guard to be made up. If this is the case you're going to be charged.
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    It is strange that you weren't informed. Did you not have to sign anything?
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • pamrleader
    Options
    No. No treatment plan, no blue form. Just given receipts for my check up and hygienist clean.
  • pamrleader
    Options
    Didn't sign anything
  • Apollonia
    Apollonia Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't panic yet.

Yes, the dentist should have discussed costs with you and under the NHS banding system, anything made in a lab is Band 3.

BUT some items are actually cheaper when paid for privately rather than NHS Band 3 and that may be the case here.

Speak to the dentist and find out exactly what's what. Reception staff don't always have the full details.
  • pamrleader
    Options
    Ok thanks I will do. I definitely signed an NHS form when I got there, that would have been for the checkup. The hygienist was private, I know that. But would it be easy to switch between NHS and private?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I would have thought any dentist (via their receptionist) would have to give the cost of treatment plan to the patient at the time the appointment happened at which this was proposed.

I think I've always had that if it was going to be a noticeable cost. I've duly got a letter from the receptionist about my next visit to the dentist - informing me I'll be due to pay over £100 for the 2 fillings they propose to do then. It does say the word "estimate" on it rather than "quotation" - so I guess, in theory, they'd be allowed to up it a few £. In practice - I wouldnt think they would dare to - as I have it in writing (even if headed by that "estimate" word).

I would have thought the NHS had to operate the same way.

One of the dentists on here will probably be along shortly - to confirm whether there is a law/regulation/etc compelling dentists to give written notification of cost of treatment over a certain amount and if the amount this dentist has quoted you is over that amount = then on their head be it. You'd just refuse and find another dentist later on.
  • pamrleader
    Options
    Ok thank you. Yes I would have thought I would have been given an indication of costs. I know it's my fault to an extent for not asking but surely the dentist has a duty to their patients to advise upfront of costs. I am going to phone my insurance in the morning to double check if it's definitely not covered. But even if it is, I feel so annoyed at the dentist for keeping me in the dark that I don't want to pay out of principal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure