PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Greek style yoghurt

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In my opinion kefir taste nothing like yogurt. Yogurt is fairly bland, kefir is very strong tasting much more of an acquired taste.

I like yogurt but not kefir, I try to like it as it is better for you than yogurt and can just about drink it mixed half and half with milk but I still prefer yogurt.

OP you can buy kefir in the supermarkets if you you to try it before you invest in the grains to grow your own,
  • redkoatz
    redkoatz Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    In my opinion kefir taste nothing like yogurt. Yogurt is fairly bland, kefir is very strong tasting much more of an acquired taste.

I like yogurt but not kefir, I try to like it as it is better for you than yogurt and can just about drink it mixed half and half with milk but I still prefer yogurt.

OP you can buy kefir in the supermarkets if you you to try it before you invest in the grains to grow your own,

Thanks for the additional input. I will try first, but I, prefer to be self sufficient from when I lived in a farming village : )
    You say kefir is healthier? Yoghurt does boost the immunity and aid in digestion , plus I like the fact I can add in fruit to yoghurt. I wonder if the taste if kefir will clash will fresh fruit ?
    Either way will definitely have a look in the supermarket or whole food store.
    Im curious about the word Sounds Asian.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make mine with half cream, half milk so maybe that's why mine is creamier. I also only like proper soury tasting natural yoghurt

Not seen it in the shops, wonder if it would taste the same as mine
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    redkoatz wrote: »
    Thanks for the additional input. I will try first, but I, prefer to be self sufficient from when I lived in a farming village : )
    You say kefir is healthier? Yoghurt does boost the immunity and aid in digestion , plus I like the fact I can add in fruit to yoghurt. I wonder if the taste if kefir will clash will fresh fruit ?
    Either way will definitely have a look in the supermarket or whole food store.
    Im curious about the word Sounds Asian.

Yogurt has about 3 beneficial bacteria, kefir has loads more.

The stuff you get in the supermarket is a drink but I believe if you start making your own you can vary the thickness to more yogurt like. If you like the taste there is no reason why you can't have it with fruit.

Its very popular in Eastern Europe they are brought up with it from an early age so get used to the taste. They use it in savory dishes as well.
  • iammumtoone
    edited 21 January 2017 at 5:54PM
    Options
    shykins wrote: »

Not seen it in the shops, wonder if it would taste the same as mine

Sell it in the big name supermarkets near me but I do live in an area with a high Eastern European population.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=278297723
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I googled supermarket kefir and seems it is a drink. No way could you drink mine you need a spoon lol

It originates from The Baltic area and was highly guarded, there are lots of legends as to how it came over here which are an interesting read

Yes you can mix it with fruit same as yoghurt, I also strain it and add peanut butter (no sugar) and eat as a pudding

Once you have the grains they multiply so you only need to buy them once, it would take some effort to kill them off!! You can get them on eBay for couple of pounds but do make sure you are getting milk grains.

I would send you some but have just shared some elsewhere so they need to recover
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    yes thats correct it is a drink version they sell in supermarkets. You have encouraged me to get some grains to try to see if I can make it a milder taste than shop brought and perhaps a bit thicker,

I might "see" you over on the kefir thread
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Here is an old thread about kefir, HTH

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=181557
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • redkoatz
    redkoatz Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm subscribed to this thread ? So why haven't I been getting notifications? I was at first.
    Interesting that kefir might be healthier.

I've just started my second batch as the first obviously didn't go well.
    I,used a digital thermometer and monitored the temp meticulously.
    I heated the milk in a pot which was inside another pot with hit water ( to avoid burning the nutrients in the milk, which,bacteria will feed on)

I didn't allow the temp to go far above 75c, well below 80 , I maintained the heat for 10 seconds then,removed off the hob and placed the bowl,of milk in cool water, to get down to 50c

Next I poured the milk into a bowl with 2 TABLESPOONS of yohurt NOT teaspoons like first time lol.
    then I added honey for flavour and mAybe it will feed the bacteria ? Lots of natural sugar.
    Btw ( the honey is raw and came from,my own organic hive)

8 hours time we will see the result :)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    redkoatz wrote: »
    then I added honey for flavour and mAybe it will feed the bacteria ?

I think this might be a mistake :( As I understand it all flavouring should be added at the end not before.

Still its worth a go, its all a learning curve, let us know how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure