PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• miasnanny
    miasnanny Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Doing a bit better now I've got going

1x bottle of out of date eyedrops - chemist
    1x top c/s
    1x handbag c/s
    1x carrier bag of rubbish (guarentee's and mannuals for stuff we don't have any more) reC
    1x carrier bag of stuff for binning
    3x pairs old specs - Optition for 3rd World Appeal

I'm a Dimwit!! I haven't been keeping count of my flinging. Oh Well at least its gone and not cluttering up our home anymore:j
  • mfwin2019
    mfwin2019 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well a bit more done today, drawers in bedside table tackled - 3 drawers of "stuff" now reduced to 1. Small chest of drawers also tackled & 5 drawers reduced to 3. The following has gone

36 -39 reading glasses to charity collection bin
    40 - clothes to charity shop
    41 - textiles to recycling
    42 - 43 old food packages recycled now codes have been used to enter competions
    44 - old socks to cleaning rag basket
    45 - "tat" to dustbin
    46 - more old receipts shredded & shreddings put on compost heap
    47 - 48 a couple of unwanted gifts discovered lurking & added to present stash

48/100:j
    Declutter 2023  110/520
    Jan grocery challenge 324.44/350 25.56 spare
    Feb grocery challenge 204.45/280
    March gc 0/310

23 minutes a day self care, decluttering, tidying or cleaning 
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    My baking cupboard and medicine cabinet are about to be sorted through. That cupboard has fast become a 'through anything and anything in' cupboard.
  • Little_Miss_Naughty
    Options
    What a great thread - can I join in?
    I really need to de clutter my whole house and this could be the motivation I need.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #601
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 May 2012 at 3:42PM
    Options
    What a great thread - can I join in?
    I really need to de clutter my whole house and this could be the motivation I need.

This is a great group, it's like Weight W**chers for our homes:j

I have failed today not recycled or CS enough. I have squeezed things back in the sideboard, only hope DH doesn't look inside!!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm looking at the large mirror over the chimney breast and am thinking its got to go.
  • Sceptre
    Sceptre Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well then - I've knuckled under and sorted out some of my clothing piles!

I've got two carrier bags full, ready for the council recycling collection on Friday, and another two destined for the charity shop tomorrow. They will be pleased with me - I've already got three bags of random stuff for them.

I've also managed to palm off an old car seat to a relative. :j
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, I am getting on very well with the decluttering, am almost there in fact. I am off work this week and want to order a filing cabinet to be delivered while I am off. I don't know whether to go for the two drawer or three drawer one. My idea is to store bills etc in one drawer, my laptop, Kindle and DS Lite in another drawer and old journals in the other one.

My journals are currently kept in a locked tin which is now full. I have debated scanning them all and throwing out the originals but this would take a lot of time and patience. A friend suggested that if I get a filing cabinet I can store them in there with room for more in the future. I am torn between journalling on paper as I always have done or on the laptop.

I have digitalised by CDs, thrown away books that I have on the Kindle so have created space for other things.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Go for the 3-drawer....my 4-drawer has paperwork in the bottom 2 drawers, handbags in the 2nd and knitting / ebay packaging in the top drawer....neat and tidy storage solutions!
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2012 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Welcome newbies, and get well soon endlessstruggle, I used to suffer from tonsilitus really badly until got them taken out as an adult.

Took another trolley load of books to charity - they had sold two of the books I wanted, so only came back with one new cookbook.
    Small amount today as have to concentrate on flyladying ready for weekend guests:
    + old glass - charity
    + old plate - charity
    + a few magazines - recycling
    + pair of DD's old trousers - charity
    + broken headband of DD's - recycling

ETA: did a quick blitz of below the bedside table. Books on shelf in office, 2 left next to the bed to read. Medicines put back in bathroom. Some stuff of OH's (old boxes??) that will deal with tomorrow as takes more brain power than I have right now!
    + 1 book - charity
    + 1 book - for friend tomorrow
    + 2 old hospital appointment letters - shred
    + bits of crud for bin (hairbands which aren't stretchy anymore anyone?)
    + bits for recycling.

Now looks brilliant, and I'll be able to hoover under it properly for the first time in months. Time for nice bath, then bed. Night all!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport