Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Ox1987 wrote: »
    Ok need some advice been doctor so was hoping to distress but have not

New bank has still not sent details to sign to get account open and was due to switch DD by the 20th for priority payments etc. This looks a bit impossible now. Salary is also set to go into that account on last day of month. However I would as you have described continue to use my HSBC account and make sure they get paid as normal as not to invoke setting off. Will they not get wind of DMP when I cancel all other DD and set off anyway. Also if I have to pay HSBC which is approx 360 then it would leave me short for the month and not able to feed the kids etc

iT IS WORRYING ME LIKE HELL ESPECIALLY IF I MISS PRIORITY PAYMENTS

Hi again Ox,

I'd suggest getting in touch with your new bank to see if the transfer of Direct Debits can still go ahead on the 20th. Once you know for sure you'll be able to make plans.

There are probably a few different ways you could manage the transfer between accounts and it's a matter of picking what works best for you. It's probably unlikely that HSBC would offset any money but I can understand that the uncertainty can be unsettling.

If you've received the last payment into the HSBC account you could draw out all the money you need from the account, notify them of the DMP straight away and cancel all the direct debits. Then you can make a gesture payment towards the HSBC loan and make one off payments to your priority bills by another method.

You could pay this months priorities by cash if you contact them and ask them to send you payment slips(that can be used to send a payment through a bank or post office), or if your new bank account comes with a debit card you could pay over the phone.

This strategy would involve more work than using your new bank's switching service but it would remove the worry of HSBC offsetting your account.

I hope this helps.

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• beth3735
    beth3735 Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Im after a little advice from step change please. I have always been told if i have a little lump of money that its best to pay this to step change rather than paying off 1 creditor. Can someone tell me how i go about paying this and whether it has to be by a certain date that month so it goes out with the direct debit money that was taken on the 1st.

Thank you. Hope this make sense as im on my phone and can't see full chat box.
  • dalid69
    dalid69 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,im not sure if im in the correct section but i have a quite simple question.

I have been contacted by a debt collection company for a debt i incurred before july 2006 as i left the country that month,they are saying that the company they are acting for didnt register my debt as a default until october 2007 some 14 months later and are trying to get me to acknowledge the debt,i thought that as i have have had no contact with them since prior to july 2006 that this would still be statute barred ?

Regards
    Paul
  • Former_StepChange_Rachel
    Former_StepChange_Rachel Posts: 252 Organisation Representative
    Options
    beth3735 wrote: »
    Im after a little advice from step change please. I have always been told if i have a little lump of money that its best to pay this to step change rather than paying off 1 creditor. Can someone tell me how i go about paying this and whether it has to be by a certain date that month so it goes out with the direct debit money that was taken on the 1st.

Thank you. Hope this make sense as im on my phone and can't see full chat box.

Hi there Beth, thanks for posting. May I say that you’ve made excellent progress on your debts so far, going from the figures in your signature :)

It’s recommended that you talk to StepChange before settling with one particular creditor because we would want to make sure that this is the fairest thing to do for all concerned.

When you have an arrangement such as a DMP, creditors tend to cooperate on the understanding that you have limited income and cannot pay them a higher amount. When you settle only one debt, this can be looked at as preferential treatment by your remaining creditors and they may be less willing to ‘play ball’ as the saying goes.

I suggest that you give us a call so we can advise you further on what your best options are moving forward.

Best regards

Rachel
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• beth3735
    Options
    Thank you Rachel. I will have to see if this sum comes to me late May, Once i know amount and if i have it I will call you up and see what the best route is to take.

I am really pleased with my progress, and know if i hadn't of got help from the CCCS when i did, i more than likely would have more debt hanging around my neck :)
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    dalid69 wrote: »
    Hi,im not sure if im in the correct section but i have a quite simple question.

I have been contacted by a debt collection company for a debt i incurred before july 2006 as i left the country that month,they are saying that the company they are acting for didnt register my debt as a default until october 2007 some 14 months later and are trying to get me to acknowledge the debt,i thought that as i have have had no contact with them since prior to july 2006 that this would still be statute barred ?

Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

You're right, if you've not made payments or acknowledged the debt in writing for 6 years then the debt is statute barred. The date of the default doesn't come into it.

Statute barred debts do still exist but they can't be enforced through the legal system. You can read a bit more in our blogpost: http://moneyaware.co.uk/2011/08/your-debts-written-off-is-it-too-good-to-be-true/.

Hope this helps.

James

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• mumofse7en
    Options
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.
    I got a call from a company called Advantice saying that I owe £3000 of tax credit overpayment, the man didn't have my current address, I've been here a year, or any other details other than my phone number and name. Stupidly I told him my NI number, date of birth and new address. I have had no letters even though I am still in receipt of tax credits and they have had my new details for a year.
    He told me to get credit via the bank or credit card to pay for this and wanted my debit card details, I refused as was worried, so he said it would be marked down as a refusal to pay and that as he had so many details about me he couldn't see why I was concerned, but he had nothing I hadn't given him. He wanted an immediate payment and then. 12 monthly payments of £266.
    They then phoned me again at 8.50 this morning, I didn't answer as I am so scared, I suffer with depression and anxiety and am so scared right now I feel really down. Can anybody give me some advice please.
  • rizzlekizzle
    Options
    Hi,

i was wondering if you could help me (my head hurts from trying to work all this out!)- my wife and i really want to get rid of our debts this year and have already made a start but were not sure what to try and pay off first...
    we have on overdraft with Nationwide for around £2k, a credit card with Nationwide at £3k (currently interest free) and a loan that is due to expire at the end of next year with around £4k left (17.4%)
    we're a bit lost as to what to do so any help would be brilliant!!!
  • jogalong16
    Options
    Hi,

I've carelessly racked up an absolute ton of credit card debt over the last decade. It started off when I was at university and rather than keep my lifestyle aligned to my income after I graduated I just allowed my debt to increase month after month after month. Credit card companies kept increasing my credit limits, presumably because I always paid on time and my salary increased over the years too. However, this has just made things worse.

I now have over £39,000 in credit card debt. Currently, every single bit of that debt is on a 0% card and I've never missed a payment. Up until now, I've always managed to transfer each balance from one 0% card to another as each deal expires. However, I'm now out of runway. I have no other cards to transfer balances to. And I know from informal 'inquiries' to my existing creditors that further wiggle room isn't likely to be granted.

It's only since the start of this year that I finally started being sensible and 'snowballing' my debts but I have to face facts. One 0% deal runs out in June and I owe more than £16k on that card. Another one runs out in July and I owe more than £5k on that one. The interest rate on the former is going to be 18.9% (possible more).

My salary is probably just about such that I could keep paying the minimum amount each month, even with the interest charged on top. But this will never allow me to actually make headway with my overall debt. I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

I already have a comprehensive Statement of Affairs but I found I had many additional costs that couldn't be reflected on the Step Change website when I went there to fill theirs in. Costs that are necessary in the short-term (i.e. dental treatment over 6 months that will be in excess of £1k) or income protection insurance (which in this age of austerity I feel is more important than ever!)

When I got my Personal Action Plan it suggested that I had over £1,000 after household bills that could be distributed across creditors. This simply isn't feasible. It would leave me unable to buy a simple birthday present for a family member and I couldn't have so much as one evening at the cinema every month.

Additionally, I found that the automatically-calculated contractual payments for my creditors was on the high side (some only charge 1% of the current balance, for example) so the amount I am contractually required to pay them was wrong.

Ultimately, I just don't know what to do for the best. Is there enough flexibility in Step Change's offering to reduce the proposed amount I pay creditors from more than £1,000 to, say, £750?

And how frequently does it happen that a creditor doesn't accept a DMP? Mine are all household names and I can deal with my credit rating being destroyed, but if going down the DMP route also leads to threatening letters or one creditor not agreeing to it then I know I'll worry myself sick.

Please help.
  • beth3735
    Options
    mumofse7en. Im not saying its 100% a hoax, but when we owed a little over £1.5k to tax credits due to over payments, we only knew as we had a proper letter from HMRC telling us. Also once they knew the amount, they took a small amount each month off us for 18 months. Not once did they ask for a big chunk.

If I was you I would call Tax Credits up and ask them whether they know if you have over payment pending as you have had a call. They will clear this up for you.

Sorry know you didn't ask information off me, but just wanted to let you know my genuine experience of Tax credit over payments and how they went about letting us know. It wasn't done through a different company or on phone. But then again this could be years old and they have sold it on. Still worth a call as the HMRC would of let you know 1st.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure