Rent to own question.

Options
Hello, I purchased a car on a weekly payment scheme, the car was valued at 1400 and the payments were £50 a week for 52 weeks. I have been having a few problems with abuse from people living in my area and my 8 year old was also targeted so I am forced to move house, I have to get 1100 to do this so I am currently saving, I missed a payment on the vehicle and they said I am in breach of my contract.
I paid nearly 2 grand on the car and had £800 to pay and the car was mine however they came to my house threatening, I asked them if they would defer the payments until next month after i moved and i would pay the last 800 in full settling early, they then followed me to the police station with my wife and baby in the car as i wasnt happy about the threats. We went in to talk to the police and when we came out they used a spare key and had took the car leaving me and family stranded, I had no default notice or court papers they just took it saying the car belonged to them until i paid the whole amount, they brought my stuff back from out of the car shouting, swearing and calling me names, is there anything i can do? Please help.

Comments

• DS4215
    DS4215 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Options
    Who was the car scheme with and who exactly took the car? - was it a bailiff or someone connected to the car company?
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Thrifty_Pixie Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2013 at 12:14PM
    Options
    they were within their rights, unfortunately, as the car WASN'T yours. not yet. not until you've made the last payment on it. you can't just decide it's yours because you've paid what it was worth - it might have been worth £1400 but you signed a contract to pay £2800 for it. the Police obviously agreed they were justified otherwise they wouldn't have sided with them.

it doesn't justify their treatment of you, although maybe they were worried you were going to do a runner when you moved - especially as your first failed payment was at the time you were moving.

why not ask them if you can claim the car if you pay the outstanding £800 in full as soon as you can?
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a copy of the agreement you signed? It should talk about when/if they can take back the car if its hire purchase, or was it just a loan?
    :beer:
  • lindsloo
    lindsloo Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    I though that if you had passed the halfway marker on car finance then a court order was needed to be able to remove the vehicle.
  • darren_clarke
    Options
    if they took it with out a court order, then it is theft, report the car stolen,
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Thrifty_Pixie Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    wouldn't the Police have checked that all out? if he reports it stolen when the Police have already been involved they'll probably at the least just get a bit grumpy for wasting their time...

if the OP said he can pay it off next month, then why not just wait to do that and get the car back then?
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • martyn1979
    Options
    It was with a used car dealer, and the 2 people that sold me the car were the ones who came for it, I did not stop paying for it because I had paid what I thought it was worth I asked if I could pay the balance in full in 4 weeks time as I am short of money bacause of paying the deposit on the house i am renting, I am due 600 from my current house when I move out and was going to use that for my car.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Did you get their agreement to the missed payment before it was due?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure