Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :rotfl: Your OH sounds like mine. He just does not get that the small savings all add up. £2 a month is £24 a year after all. It is a simple phone call for goodness sake or I think you can change the Netflix sub online. Can you not do it? I get you should not have to though and he should make the effort.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    :rotfl: Your OH sounds like mine. He just does not get that the small savings all add up. £2 a month is £24 a year after all. It is a simple phone call for goodness sake or I think you can change the Netflix sub online. Can you not do it? I get you should not have to though and he should make the effort.

Especially because £24 is a third of the cost of the Amazon Prime subscription, or 3.5 months of the cheaper Netflix subscription.
    He was quite narky about it this morning but that was pre-coffee and he was rushing around trying to find his gym stuff. I will approach it again on Sunday when he's full of brunch. Sometimes he disagrees with me only to announce that he's had an "amazing idea" a few weeks later, and then deny that he even heard me suggesting it the first time around ;)

Unfortunately, Netflix is in his name and its his card details / log in - if I could change it I would just go ahead and do it. He'd never notice it! However, I did say last week that he should really update the Netflix details so the money is coming out of our bills account (which I control) and he liked that idea, so I think I will stage a Netflix-coup and sort it out :)

He's been talking about how he's going to switch gyms to the free one at his work because he'd be saving "the cost of a Sky package every month". I thought this was just an example but no, it seems he wants to get a Sky package. I'm really going to put my foot down because we already have Netflix & Amazon. He has access to Sky on his laptop (via his brother's account ... don't ask) so we can watch Game of Thrones and the F1. There is nothing else we watch on Sky that isn't available on Netflix or Amazon.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    My jeans, that were admittedly looking pretty past-it, now have a massive hole. I was trying to hold out until next month to buy a pair, partly because I've become addicted to stretching out the time before I buy things and partly because I hate jeans shopping. This particular style isn't in the shops anymore.
    BUT, I googled the style number from the label and found surplus stock being sold on ebay for half price. There are a few sellers and lots of pairs left so I'm not worried about them selling out, I will wait until my cashback reward hits my account before purchasing.

I'm doubly pleased that I get new jeans for £18 and that I don't have to waste part of my weekend trying on 39 thousand pairs of jeans that I hate :T
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Your husband sounds very like mine... :) Good luck with all the convincing! It's not easy when the other halves aren't committed. Mine is committed in theory but in practice it's a whole other story.

Good news on the jeans! We spoke about jeans 1-2 months ago and I still haven't bought any, although the situation is getting desperate now!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »

Good news on the jeans! We spoke about jeans 1-2 months ago and I still haven't bought any, although the situation is getting desperate now!

Me too :o

I need to look, I was hoping to get some in the Next sale but none in the VIP slot took my eye :(
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the transfers :D You'll soon see it reducing a lot quicker now things are on 0% :D
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Your husband sounds very like mine... :) Good luck with all the convincing! It's not easy when the other halves aren't committed. Mine is committed in theory but in practice it's a whole other story.

Hopefully we'll get them full on the MSE bandwagon :)

I'm so pleased about the jeans, fingers crossed there is nothing weird about them when they arrive :) I would have waited but my old pair now have a massive hole in the thigh and there is no fixing it without a very obvious patch. And they aren't the kind of jeans that look good with a patch (and also, if I'm being honest, I am terrible at sewing so would have to pay to get them fixed)
    Me too :o

I need to look, I was hoping to get some in the Next sale but none in the VIP slot took my eye :(

Ah, I never get on well with Next jeans, shame because there are some lovely looking ones :) Check out ebay though, I was so impressed!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Well done on the transfers :D You'll soon see it reducing a lot quicker now things are on 0% :D

Thank you! Yes, it will make an enormous difference - I'm beyond pleased that I was able to get some 0% offers! I had a dream about making balance transfers last night :rotfl:
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Love the Netflix-coup! Would your OH consider swapping the Sky package for the Amazon one, instead of adding things in? I don't really know how much each of those costs so it might be a stupid suggestion.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Love the Netflix-coup! Would your OH consider swapping the Sky package for the Amazon one, instead of adding things in? I don't really know how much each of those costs so it might be a stupid suggestion.

It's a good suggestion but I don't think he'll go for it - there are a lot of things we watch on Amazon including The Grand Tour (with the old Top Gear guys) that I don't think he would want to give up. Amazon is £79 a year whereas Sky is £50 a month for the package he wants (including Formula 1).
    I did make my opinions known this weekend so we'll see! OH currently in frame of mind that switching to the free gym would be a big sacrifice on his part and he "deserves" the Sky package. Formula 1 are on summer break after the next race, so I might suggest that he leaves it at least a month to see how nice it is to have the extra money from the gym membership instead of immediately committing it to something else :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback