PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best way to clean copper?

Options
I bought a lovely copper bowl from a charity shop for £1.50 and it really needs cleaning. Does anyone have a method they use which works, and doesn't involve buying special cleaners? I've heard of using half a lemon and salt but wouldn't that scratch it?

Thanks.

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds weird, but tomato ketchup cleans copper very well (probably the vinegar content) and it doesn't scratch it.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you really want it to be bright and shiny? A lot of people like copper to have a natural patina. A wash in normal washing-up liquid suds should remove old polish and grime.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try a mix of lemon juice and baking soda – rub in until grime comes off, then polish with a soft clean cloth.

Tomato ketchup works on brass and I think it would probably work on copper too.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I tried the tomato ketchup method - which brought off the initial layer of dirt, and then half a lemon & bicarb to "attack" isolated stains/marks. It's not "shiny and new" but I didn't want that anyway; it's just much brighter than it was and I actually prefer it to look like this, with some age to it.

A bargain for £1.50 and a bit of tomato ketchup ...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure