One of the reasons people can't find employment....

Options

Comments

• pioneer22
    Options
    Then you have no right to criticise anyone else I am afraid as you have no idea what their story is.

I don't, and Dyslexia is a disability but basic spelling is a requirement of the job.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    Yes, that must be very frustrating.

On the flip side I suppose you can quickly tell who the best candidates are likely to be, on the basis that they have structured their CV clearly, spell-checked it and taken the time to present it well?

Most recent job first usually does it for me, not particularly interested in someones education to those hundreds of internal course's they haven't done.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Claree__x wrote: »
    I've got another 200 to review.

Rally? How silly is that? To allow so many applications and then potentially miss a really good candidate in a pile of irrelevant CVs.

I have applied for a job that is a 100% match to my current skills/experience etc etc. The advert has closing date a month away. So by the time the closing date comes, I do not even want to think how many applications they will have for review.

How silly is that? Who has got the time to properly review them all Also, who is qualified to properly review the applications?
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    Most recent job first usually does it for me, not particularly interested in someones education to those hundreds of internal course's they haven't done.

How arrogant and ignorant of you.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    How arrogant and ignorant of you.

Employment experience over training/degree/certificates.

If someone who wants a job wants their CV to be read it needs to be on the front page no one has time to go through every page.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    Rally? How silly is that? To allow so many applications and then potentially miss a really good candidate in a pile of irrelevant CVs.

I have applied for a job that is a 100% match to my current skills/experience etc etc. The advert has closing date a month away. So by the time the closing date comes, I do not even want to think how many applications they will have for review.

How silly is that? Who has got the time to properly review them all Also, who is qualified to properly review the applications?

Send the hiring manager a message on Linkedin, work out their email address and send it to them personally.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You really haven't got a clue, have you?

Bless you...
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options

The post was advertised on Friday, I'm not sure exactly what you want me to do about how many applications we got,

I don't know if I'm qualified to review CVs or not, but the person we hire is going to be wortking for me directly so it makes sense that I look at them, considering there are only 4 other employees in the business.

My point is that if people really want the job they should make their CV stand out and not fill it with platitudes and generic nonsense that I'm going to skim read. Your CV, and cover letter, are your pitch for getting the job - if you can't pitch it right, that's not my fault.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You really haven't got a clue, have you?

Bless you...
    It's always been experience as a first consideration, then qualifications. The interview is then normally to see how well you'd 'fit' within the team/firm.

Your CV should be no longer than 3 pages and ideally just 2. Short overview of you, followed by relevant job history, then qualifications. Hobbies should be kept short.
  • pioneer22
    Options
    Claree__x wrote: »
    The post was advertised on Friday, I'm not sure exactly what you want me to do about how many applications we got,

I don't know if I'm qualified to review CVs or not, but the person we hire is going to be wortking for me directly so it makes sense that I look at them, considering there are only 4 other employees in the business.

My point is that if people really want the job they should make their CV stand out and not fill it with platitudes and generic nonsense that I'm going to skim read. Your CV, and cover letter, are your pitch for getting the job - if you can't pitch it right, that's not my fault.

And if they really want to be at the top of the pile get that CV straight into shortlisters hands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure