Girls white dress for First Holy Communion

Options
There must be a few of us here with girls taking FHC this year. Was hoping we can post here any reasonably priced dresses. Must be white though, not ivory.

First off Ebay and US Ebay have some really good buys. I'm hoping though to be able to try something on, also would like a plain white dress that could maybe be worn again.

Looked in Monsoon today but all their dresses are ivory. BHS has a white dress for £65 and apparently Liverpool, Belfast and Glasgow M&S stores have dresses in around £65. Being a cheapskate I'm hoping to get mine for less!

Anyone found a bargain?
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey

Comments

• finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my daughter's a couple of years ago in Debenhams during one of their blue cross sales. It was a bridesmaid dress but very simple and elegant design in white for £50.
    Adams also do a very simple white dress for £35 but only go upto age 10. No good for my daughter even though she was 7 as she's tall for her age. It would depend on what length you were going for though. Just watch out for the competitive mums though who have to spend at least £150 on the dress and £60 on the veil then another £50 on the shoes. Or maybe that was just the mums at my daughter's school.
    :smileyhea
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think there will be Mums like that, although we've been told to keep the dress as plain as possible, and no extra bits like bag, umbrella etc! I'm not having a veil either and the priest was ok with that.

I've seen that Adams dress, very tempted. Tried to have a look at it in store but I think its online only. Must get a move on or it will be sold out.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    When my DS's made their FHC 15 yrs ago, there were a few mini-brides...but the most extravagant dresses were worn by a Romany family who had a horse & carriage for 3 girls wearing full length beaded dresses with train, veil, gloves and a small blue-velvet dressed page-boy to hold their Bibles.....I'm glad I had boys!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    There were some mini-brides when my sons did their FHC.

The girl who looked nicest was actually in a white brodiery anglaise shirt dress, and white sandles. She had shoulder length hair, and her Mam had glued tiny white silk flowers onto hair slides to clip the sides back off her face. She looked so fresh and pretty.

I would guess they probably spent the least amount on an outfit, plus she got wear out of the dress and sandles over the summer.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • lily_the_pink
    lily_the_pink Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try vertbaudet - there are a couple of lovely white dresses in the Mila Blue range. La Redoute might have something too.
  • Shelanne
    Shelanne Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Three years ago I bought off ebay US for my eldest daughter, an absolute bargain at £23 incl. postage. Maybe not what i would have chosen had I been inclined to be spending £150, but she looked as cute as a button.

I intended to do the same this year for DD2 but when I looked, I didn't see anything I liked as much and the dresses weren't quite so cheap. I landed lucky and picked up a real simple beauty of a dress in TK Maxx just before Christamas - £16.99!! Can't go wrong at that but as biggest size was age 6, she won't have to grow too much between now and May:rotfl: Unlike eldest she will want to do whole veil and tiara thing tough so I won't be finished at that!!
  • tiff
    Options
  • tiff
    Options
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I like that dress, and I don't think it's too casual.

And she can wear it again afterwards, so it's :money: too!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • tiff
    Options
    Yeah, thats what I thought. I've just got to be brave and not do what everyone else is doing!

Thanks to the person who suggested Vertbaudet. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure