Wedding menu tasting

Options
ghdgirl
ghdgirl Posts: 67 Forumite
edited 10 August 2015 at 2:21PM in Weddings & anniversaries
Hope someone can help- think I'm going bonkers!!!
Booked my wedding may 14 for wedding dec 15- lots of small niggles along the way with venue but finally somewhat happy. Looking through wedding documents yesterday and I read about food tasting- contract says will be invited at the 6 month point (June) now it's August and I called venue today. They said they only do Tuesday afternoons and will not get to taste our menu just general food. Then wad told no food tasting in August as so busy- next one 15 September- explained I am a teacher do this isn't possible. Queue tumbleweed.... I asked what other options were to be met with I'll have to see and call you back. I'm trying so hard to be positive but am getting upset- I feel like it's me chasing the venue constantly rather than then providing the service we are paying for. Not sure if I'm bring high maintenance of if its the final straw ( lots of other Low level stuff before)

Help please 😐

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you know what you want from the menu, I don't see the point in going.

If you don't know and you want to go to the tastings, then you'll have to go on the date available, don't see what much else can be done.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do people go and taste their menu in advance nowadays? It's not something I've ever heard of and one of my workmates marries in a few weeks time and another married last year, so it's not like I haven't listened to wedding preparation chatter for ages.

I don't really see the point if it's not the menu you'll be giving your guests anyway.

Presumably these tastings only run in the middle of the day, which is why you can't make it to the next one? Have you asked when they run in October, in case it's in half-term? Is your OH also a teacher? If not could you send him or a different close relative?

Alternatively if this is a restaurant/hotel where you're holding your venue, rather than an outside catering company why not just book a meal there, to see what they cook it like?
  • ghdgirl
    ghdgirl Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

The venue we have choosen doesn't have restaurant so that's not an option to just book a meal. The tatting sessions are not in half term week either, Ive checked! I just think it's important when spending so meh money that you have some idea of what quality you are getting and the service etc- a house be able to trust it with the prices but I do think that it's part of the whole experience. It just doesn't seem fair that spending X amount they cannot accommodate me- it has been booked for 18 months!!!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You' have thought they'd have been in touch or at least let you know at the start when the next bookings opened to put yourself on.

Is sending you fiance/Mum/trusted friend not an option?
  • cashewnut
    cashewnut Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would be miffed at not receiving a menu tasting invitation back in June and would also want to know the reason why it was missed.

But I would try to keep things friendly with the venue since you're stuck with them...
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We booked our wedding 8 months in advance and were offered a tasting to determine our menu & wine choices. We arranged to go for dinner one evening around 6 weeks before, the restaurant manager put us in the best seats in a corner bay window and the chef cooked one portion of each option for each course, with glasses of the wine options brought to us. This was with a large busy hotel in our home town of Blackpool.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely you want to taste the food before you book the venue, not afterwards?
  • shellstar
    shellstar Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our reception will be in a restaurant and our guests will be given a choice of 3 options per course, so we have been offered a tasting so that we can decide which options we'll be giving them.

They've been pretty good, as we'll also be discussing wine options. We haven't agreed a date for the tasting yet as we've only just set the date (wedding is January) and they do seasonal food so I would expect it will be October at the earliest.

If you're being given a choice of what is to be served I think a tasting is reasonable. Could the caterer perhaps see you at a weekend? Send the Fiance and/or Best Man/Bridesmaid or other wedding party person if you really can't get away? If the menu is set and there is no choice then the bird has probably flown given that I assume you're committed to this venue come what may. I do agree that you are right to be concerned that they are not meeting their contractual obligations - doesn't seem well organised! Perhaps check up on other elements to make sure they haven't forgotten any of their other commitments.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not really sure what the point is, especially as you're not going to taste the food you've chosen. If you don't like the food, what are you going to do, since you've already booked the venue?

When I got married 2 years ago we wanted the food to be exactly right. We chose a venue with a fairly long list of caterers and contacted a few to discuss options, sending them a list of ideas. One of them clearly wanted the job, as rather than just discussing ideas with us, he'd actually prepared a meal plus canapes based on the ideas we'd sent him. Based on that we offered him the job. A few weeks before the wedding we had a 2nd tasting to fine-tune the menu. Wine and other drinks we supplied ourselves.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm struggling to see the point of the food tasting? What happens if it is not to your taste/preference, surely it's too late?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure