Payroll deductions, advice?

Options
I’ve had 20% of my salary deducted from my pay this month and will have more deductions next month.

My line manager has incorrectly processed payments related to bank holidays for our department for the last year or so. I queried the payment when I first started with the manager and was told this was a standard payment and nothing to be alarmed about. Other colleagues confirmed that these payments were standard (I’m relatively new to the department).

It is printed in bold writing on my payslip that all payroll enquiries must be raised with the line manager who will escalate to payroll.

As far as I’m concerned this should have been picked up way before I opened my mouth as the manager herself was also incorrectly paid.

No action is being taken against this manager even though she has form for making mistakes, this is just the latest in a long line of screw ups.

I want to escalate with my union but can’t evidence my initial conversation with the manager. Is there any point in proceeding with this?

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does not matter who fault the over payment was they still have the right to reclaim the money. Although 20% a month of salary until repaid seems a little high, if It was me I would ask for there calculation of how much you owe them, not forgetting you have already paid tax (assuming you earn over the tax threshold) on this and that needs to be calculated into how much you have been overpaid, then I would agree a suitable repayment plan each month. There is very little the union can do for you except help sort out a suitable repayment plan.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think the deductions can take your pay to below NLW levels, but other than that they probably can do it. You could ask for the deductions to be reduced each month and spread over a longer period, but as I'd guess there's probably only one more month to go they may not agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure