No credit history... so been rejected for a mortgage???

Options
Desperate for some advice

We are first time buyers, got an idea what we could borrow, searched. Found a house, put an ffer in, got in touch with a broker sorted out a few bits with them and got a mortgage in principle with Santander. We than had an offer accepted.

This is where is went wrong. Sent all the details to the broker for him to put in our application. Came back rejected because I have no credit history.

My other half was fine, they accepted him but wouldn’t accept me because I have no credit history. My credit score itself is good. But because I’ve never taken a loan out, credit cards etc they won’t accept me because they cant predict my future habits.

Obviously this was shattering news. After Speaking to the broker he has tried with many more big lenders and some smaller lenders but they are all coming back saying the same thing. I’ve now had 2 credit checks done to check me out and have nothing from it.

I have been told to put down a 15% deposit which is impossible, i’ve asked if a guarantor can be used but have yet to have an answer. So far it looks like my only choice is to hang back for 12 months to build up my credit score. Unfortunately I don’t really have 12 months to get it sorted.

I was hoping someone out there has gone through this and has come out on the sunny side and know of anyone or anything we can do to get a lender to accept us for a mortgage.

Thanks in advice.
Laura

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Do you have a bank account?
    A mobile phone on contract?

You do not need a major credit history, some lenders only need to see 1 line of credit (a bank account would satisfy this) in rder to be able to offer a Mortgage, you do not even need an overdraft.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MK__2
    MK__2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when i first bought a house. No bad credit history at all, but no good credit history either. Mortgage broker kept showing me all these great deals, but the lenders wouldnt go through with it, and all I was left with was a handful of options with awful rates.

Solution: get a credit card, use it for all your purchases over £50. Pay it off in full immediately every month. Pay anything you can on direct debit (mobile phone contract, etc).
    My rating boosted up and after a few months I was able to get better rates.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MK_ wrote: »
    Solution: get a credit card, use it for all your purchases over £50.

And under, as well.
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    I’m in a similar position. Been living overseas, came back, never had credit.
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    My partner was the same he had no credit history of note, saved and bought everything outright. Including PAYG mobiles.
    This really worried me I had no debt but a good history of previous payments etc.
    I think what got us through was a high deposit so weren’t as much risk in LTV terms. Upping your deposit does seem to make a lot of difference to lenders. We also were buying well within our means and the mortgage we needed was only 2x our joint salaries.
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Do you have a bank account?
    A mobile phone on contract?

You do not need a major credit history, some lenders only need to see 1 line of credit (a bank account would satisfy this) in rder to be able to offer a Mortgage, you do not even need an overdraft.

This ^^^^^

We got a mortgage no issues and my partner had nothing whatsoever in his name apart from a personal and business bank account.
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well your “score” means nothing then.
    Get a credit card, use it and pay off IN FULL EVEDY MONTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors