PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help with roasted veg

Options
Hi all,

walked into the local town today rather than going to the supermarket as the car has a puncture and managed to get almost a kilo of peppers and a kilo of tomatoes for £1 each.
Bargain from one the very busy ethnic stores in town.

what would you recommend as the best way to roast these in the oven . . far too many for me to eat but couldn't resist and they are on the ripe side.

Temperatures and length of time if you have any recommendations !!

thanks in advance

MM

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Hugh Fearnly-Posho recipe for roasted tomato sauce sounds like it would be useful here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/aug/18/recipes.foodanddrink Can be frozen for use in all kinds of pasta dishes.

I have to confess I don't worry too much about temperatures and times with veg- the smell usually tells you it's ready. I am a bit more precise with baking!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Roasted are done when you like the look of them.... some people like them hardly roasted, some like them black. So long as they "look nice" to you, they're cooked.

Both items are edible raw, there is no danger in "under-cooking" them whatsoever, so it's all purely down to personal preference about how they look.

But, if you like them darker .... they'll ALWAYS take an annoying 10 minutes longer than any recipe says.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The peppers can be chopped and frozen if you don't want to use them all now; add a handful to casseroles, soups, as a topping on pizzas etc as and when you need them.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 May 2017 at 5:42PM
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    The peppers can be chopped and frozen if you don't want to use them all now; add a handful to casseroles, soups, as a topping on pizzas etc as and when you need them.

That's what I would propbably do as well as I like to have a bag in the freezer on hand for soups,stews etc in fact almost anything. Brilliant price as well, too good a bargain to pass up on

With the tomato's I would plunge them into boiling water to de-skin them, then in a saucepan with a handfull of mixed herbs and a dollop of lazy garlic and a spoonful of sugar I would simmer them until thickened and they become a sort of thick passata sauce .Used with spaghetti as ragu, or as a sauce to cook chicken with its delicious. freezes well as well in a plastic tub for when needed
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I grow tomatoes every year and surplus ones I cook and turn into passatta. I just pop them in a suitably sized dish, sprinkle some chopped garlic, oregano and olive oil over them and either cook in a low oven until soft or pop in the slow cooker for a few hours or microwave on medium for 10 minutes or so. Once cool I puree them then rub through a sieve to get rid of the pips and skin and freeze in 200ml portions. This works well for peppers too and either/both make a great base for all sorts dishes.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd roast both with (red) onions, salt, pepper and garlic and blitz into a soup with some hot vegetable stock. Easy and delicious, and very freezable.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melymay wrote: »
    what would you recommend as the best way to roast these in the oven . . far too many for me to eat but couldn't resist and they are on the ripe side.
    I do it very simply by putting them on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil. Tomatoes cook faster than peppers, so you either have them a bit more cooked or add them 10 minutes later. I just do them until soft.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I roast them with onions, garlic, oil and some herbs, add leeks, aubergines & fennel if handy. 190 / 200 for about 40-50 mins, but check what suits you, I take some bits out when they look done, and leave the rest for another few minutes - as other said, no hard and fast rules. They will then keep a few days in the fridge.
    Eat cold with salad & dressing (useful starter as well)
    Mix into cous-cous/ bulgur wheat - meal for a vegan, mix in cubes of goats' cheese for a veggie - lovely hot or cold
    Eat hot with just about any meat, or heat up with tiny cubes of bacon and put in a thick sandwich.
    Layer into a veggie (or just to add extra veg layers) to a moussaka or lasagna - this will then freeze.
    Stir into almost any tomato-ey sauce to add taste & texture. Last weekend, in a similar situation I did a 'roast veg' chilli with some whoopsied kidney beans.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I do it very simply by putting them on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil. Tomatoes cook faster than peppers, so you either have them a bit more cooked or add them 10 minutes later. I just do them until soft.

I do the same.

Also bear in mind that both freeze raw. I usually have tomatoes and chillies rattling round in the freezer, but have used the last of the toms recently instead of half a tin. It means I never grow one away as any that look like they're at risk of not being eaten are chucked in.
  • melymay
    melymay Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks all for the ideas . . will be trying a couple of these tomorrow !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure