MoneySaving Poll: Should the 1p coin be scrapped?

Options
13»

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tanllan wrote: »
    Why not sort out the coins properly?

Do we really need all of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, £1, £2?

Surely 1p, 5p, 20p, £1 and £2 would suffice and be easier and better (and cheaper to manage).

Because then you need more coins to give change. 90p can currently be done with just 1x50p + 2x20p.

Scrap the 10p and 50p and 90p becomes 4x20p + 2x5p. That's six coins instead of three.

It also ruins the nice neat pattern we currently have:
    1p, 2p 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2, £5, £10, £20, £50.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • lady-h
    Options
    I am one of those who are against the abolition of the 1p and 2p coins. At our church we sponsor two children, one in Tanzania and one in Bangladesh. The members of our church save their small change and hand it in regularly (Mostly 1p and 2p pieces) and it is surprising how this mounts up and this money makes such a difference to the children enabling them to get an education. If anyone out there doesn't want their small change then put it into a charity box!
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I don't agree with any of the options. I'd be happy to lose the 1p and 2p coins, but why get rid of the 5p ones?

Any 1p or 2p coins I do get just end up in a charity tin. They are so worthless these days, they are not worth saving.

Same, many of the pubs I go to have charity tins, and quite a few of the bar staff at some pubs know to automatically put in my pennies..

If everyone did this it would be quite a boon for Rover the guide dog tin (I am from Blackburn)
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    Why not keep the penny but scrap the 2p. 2p coins weigh the same as two pennies. Change smaller than 5p can be made from four pennies. I'd be happy enough receiving four pennies instead of two 2p coins.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Seems a bizarre thing to do when some are now paying the plastic bag charge with their loose change.

The 5p should never be abolished. Some car parking charges end in 5 and the machines refuse to give change; pay by phone comes attached to a surcharge on top of the parking fee.

While totals ending in small change could still be done via card, this is not without issue as some retailers will have a minimum for card payments. It's more likely to be inflationary and we don't need to give another excuse for prices to be raised.
  • chocaholicmanc
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Why do you collect them and not spend them as you go? I never have more than a few coppers, if something costs £4.63 I'll check if I have £4.63 instead of lazily handing over a fiver which most people seem to do.

I used to do it as a way of saving up for things. I rarely noticed the 'missing' money from my purse and at xmas or for holidays I'd get it changed. I suppose now it's habit more than anything. I almost never carry any cash anyway. I think I've been 'saving' my coppers in my current jar for about 6 years! We're getting married next month so I think I'll change it for our honeymoon and the give up.

But yes, it does mean I always have to hand over more than the amount due when I do pay with cash. Which is lazy I suppose!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure