Career change - what training do I need for Advice and Guidance jobs?

Options
As per the title, I'm going to be changing my career in 18 months and have 2 very real options.

The first is to train to become a science (Physics or Biology) teacher to which I would need to undertake the year of teacher training. Financially it's viable (thankfully) and I know I would enjoy it.

However over the last few years I really like the idea of becoming a advice and guidance provider, specifically financial as I find I really enjoy it (albeit with friends and family). Does anyone know what I could use my spare time doing in order to make me more attractive to an employer?
30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    My opinions:

Teaching, im sure you love it but when you find that the brats you are trying to teach would rather fight you than learn from you, it will be a big shock. Welcome to society where discipline is no longer a thing. you have a very good chance of getting a teaching job because there are many vacancies, the bit they don't tell you is the vacancies are mainly for under performing rough schools, the good schools have massive competition.

I come from a family of teachers, if you want to teach, stick to primary and hope you get year 6 where you can do more interesting things with them as they are starting to understand concepts like fractions etc. You can try nursery but you'll get bored more likely.

As ive heard countless stories im a little jaded with these things, imo if a kid doesn't want to learn or behave then im not interested. For that reason i respect my families passion for wanting to teach children in this day and age.

Fin. Advice, if you want a chance at such a role you will need experience, you may get very lucky and get something entry level if you are okay with 18-19k per year but you'll be competing with many people who have a lot of experience in that field.

Im pretty sure someone will say get a bookkeeping qualification and a job will fall on your lap but thats not the case and everyone and their dog are doing the courses.

Conclusion.

If you have a passion to teach and are willing to put up with crap (potentially) for years before being able to get into a better school then go for that.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Financial advice - if you are thinking about stuff like debt advice, you could become a CAB volunteer.....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure