First Written Warning

Options
Hello

I have been working for a company since 5th December 2016.

I do sales and have not met the sales target every month, I have had a brief discussion about it a couple of times but never been advised that this was a verbal warning.

Today I got a brief email from my manager asking me to meet her in an office which I did. She told me that she wanted to issue me with a 1st written warning.

I challenged that I hadn't had a verbal she said I had, but this hadn't previously been mentioned and wasn't backed in writing which I thought it should be.

I also said I would of expected a letter inviting me to a disciplinary with 24 hours notice not a quite email asking to meet in an office.

I was told that as I hadn't worked their for 2 years she didn't have to do this.

She also said she was going to review my target week on week, rather than the monthly target that I have.

I asked her what would happen if I didn't do the first week and she said it would get reviewed and she would have no choice but to put me on a 2nd written, after a week.

Can someone please advise me on who is right here, I previously worked in a blue chip company as a sales manager and this is nothing like the procedures that we had to follow.

Thank you.

PS I have not had this conversation in writing as yet either.

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Right and wrong doesnt matter, they are clearly managing you out of the company.

At least they are not just sacking you though, you've not been there 2 years (which she clearly knows so they can do as they please)
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above,under two years employed you can be dismissed without any comeback based on what you have posted
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get an exit strategy, you're on borrowed time.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • pbsmiles
    pbsmiles Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Get an exit strategy, you're on borrowed time.

Already have the strategy I just want to ensure that they are aware where they are wrong.

I still believe that they need to follow a disciplinary procedure, i appreciate they can dismiss more easily within the first two years, but there are still procedures. I am going to contact acas in the morning.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They can just say

"pbsmiles, don't like the colour of your tie, here is x weeks notice as per contract/employment law, your final payslip will show an amount for holiday not taken"
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    pbsmiles wrote: »
    I still believe that they need to follow a disciplinary procedure, i appreciate they can dismiss more easily within the first two years, but there are still procedures.

It really Doesnt matter what you believe. And like you were told, you have not been there two years so they dont need to follow the normal procedure.

I am going to contact acas in the morning.

Get a job lined up first.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Already have the strategy I just want to ensure that they are aware where they are wrong.

I still believe that they need to follow a disciplinary procedure, i appreciate they can dismiss more easily within the first two years, but there are still procedures. I am going to contact acas in the morning.

Because you've not got the answer you want?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did you ever pass 'company probation'? isn't there normally a line that disciplinary process doesn't have to come into effect until company probation past has been confirmed. (or a sentence to this effect I'm sure). You know the probation review normally at 3 or 6 months.

Least you got 10 months out of them. Hope you find something better.
  • pbsmiles
    pbsmiles Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Did you ever pass 'company probation'? isn't there normally a line that disciplinary process doesn't have to come into effect until company probation past has been confirmed. (or a sentence to this effect I'm sure). You know the probation review normally at 3 or 6 months.

Least you got 10 months out of them. Hope you find something better.

Three month probation but never reviewed, they don't review anything at all to be fair, its a printers that has started to sell websites which is me, but I have to get that involved in the website process as it was never set up properly that I am not on the phone as much as a normal sales job would be.

I have had to put so much stuff in place out of the sales role and the website designer they have pays no attention to detail so i have to check everything he does because if i didn't my customers would never be happy.

No training, told they can't train me anything as i sound fine on the phone and can objection handle (been in sales 26 years so yes I can lol) and today i asked them if I leave or they dismiss me would they replace me or would this side of their business stop and I was told it would probably stop as they have been trying to make it successful since 2009 and its not worked. I am the best performer they have ever had.

Not concerned about leaving but I do believe they should follow a process with a discplinary meeting is concerned.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    Not concerned about leaving but I do believe they should follow a process with a discplinary meeting is concerned.

And I believe all war should end and we should all get along.

Start looking for something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport