Compulsive gambler

Options
This is the biggest step I've taken.. acknowledging that I have a gambling problem. It has affected me in many ways. My job, my mental health, my financial situation, my relationship with my close friend.
I need help.

Comments

• SeekingRedemption
    Options
    Hey there. Been in a similar situation myself, albeit drink-fuelled. Nothing worse than looking at a big pile of debt and knowing that the money was not even spent on tangible things, but instead just wasted. The people on here are very helpful and supportive, and they don't judge. Best advice is to do a SOA, and then people can advice you on the best course of action. Take it from me, when you start to take positive action, your frame of mind will improve. I think in your case, it may be worth looking at GA so that you can address your issues with gambling first. All the best, and well done on facing up to things.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Massive congratulations for taking that first and hardest step.

Good advice from Seeking Redemption above - get yourself an SOA sorted and posted, and start to look towards things like self-banning from bookies and similar -there are masses of people on here who have been in your position and there is so much support available.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • debt247
    debt247 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yes my problem was online gambling so I have self excluded. I have also started attending GA meetings
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure