Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I don't know where yesterday went, but I fell into bed exhausted about 9pm and couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to post an update.
    We are still in the midst of holiday unpacking here. Just need to get it done tonight and to stop faffing around.

We did a monster food shop today as the freezers & cupboards are empty of ingredients, meat and useful stuff.
    I used my supermarket it was semi successful, but hubby came shopping and many additions were added. I'm hoping I can fine tune the app as I continue to use it. I put all the receipts in receipt hog and won nothing on the spins (boo) but I did level up. It's going to take forever to cash out especially as I'm going for the £50 jackpot...

Pickle are the last of his oaty bars at tea today so I'm going to make him some rather than buy more (I've got all the ingredients in)
    Hubby picked up his new car and the old one got scrapped.
    Pickle has horrendous nappy rash so I'm suspecting it's going to be a long night.

Updates below.....

August Goals:
    1) reduce mortgage capital by £340 - require overpayment of £128
    8/8: £63.73/£128
    9/8: £64.83 (TT)
    11/8: £68.90 (TT & under budget on landline bill)
    20/8 £71.30 (got some post holiday TT to do, but need to charge the iPad to do that. )
    22/8: £73.84 (TT - I'm a bit behind target, but looking at what I've got left in my YNAB pots I should be ok at month end.

2)keep an accurate cash spending diary
    9/8 ✅
    11/8: no cash spent today
    20/8: nope, not done this.. restart tomorrow. (Haven't taken any cash out of the bank all week though, so haven't actually spent a lot. )
    22/8: no cash spent

3) cash out £30 of survey site rewards✅
    8/8: £24.80/£30 (£15 voucher & £9.80 cash)
    9/8: £55.16/£30 (£25 vouchers & £30.16
    11/8: no change today, but pa reward has cleared to circle, just waiting for it to appear in my bank now
    20/8 no change as I've not done any surveys while I've been away. But the circle payment is in my bank and I've just opened the envelope containing the boots voucher from VO.
    22/8 no change. Pa has gone very quiet. I've had nothing at all today.

4)reach the middle of July on temperature blanket
    8/8: up to 29/05/17
    11/8: completed May
    20/8: up to 3rd June oops, did more reading than knitting while I was away.
    22/8: ha ha

5)get a job or sign up to 1 agency.
    9/8: X
    11/8: X
    20/8 : x (but I have been on holiday)
    22/8: x

Tomorrow: (Today)
    Unpack 'going away stuff' - getting there
    Wash all the washing and gang up to dry or take to laundrette to dry. ✅ £7.00 to get three loads dry at the laundrette is good enough for me
    Clear out old, dead car.✅

Wednesday
    Put all the dry washing away
    Mum and dad coming so bake something nice
    Do some knitting.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Wish - great target setting. Off to reflect on mine - thanks for the prompt.
    Do you have an oaty bar recipe?

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Thanks for dropping by pinky,
    The oaty bar recipe is likely to come from Pinterest and will more than likelube oats, butter& fruit. It didn't happen tonight. Never mind. Tomorrow is another day.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Evening all.
    Mum and dad have been today to return the cat from his holiday at their house (would any mse person pay for kennels if they didn't have to?) it was lovely to see them and they love spending time with Pickle. Then a quick dash out to the shop for 'all the things you never knew you couldn't live without' for resources for bake off next week - illusion cake being planned!! Only Spent £8.97 which is a miracle.

I decluttered 1 cupboard in the kitchen and made some oaty bars for Pickle - I just went on the pin board site and picked something, they worked well, but will need to pimp the recipe next time I make it.

I was meant to start creme egg brownie making tonight, but that's a job being moved to tomorrow.
    Hubby has a job starting tomorrow, the first of three back to back jobs, so single parenting for a fortnight here I come...

Updates below.....

August Goals:
    20/8 £71.30 (got some post holiday TT to do, but need to charge the iPad to do that. )
    22/8: £73.84 (TT - I'm a bit behind target, but looking at what I've got left in my YNAB pots I should be ok at month end.
    23/8: £97.92 (TT and a massive underspend on the bacon subscription this month due to being away)

9/8 ✅
    20/8: nope, not done this.. restart tomorrow. (Haven't taken any cash out of the bank all week though, so haven't actually spent a lot. )
    23/8: no cash spent

11/8: no change today, but pa reward has cleared to circle, just waiting for it to appear in my bank now
    20/8 no change as I've not done any surveys while I've been away. But the circle payment is in my bank and I've just opened the envelope containing the boots voucher from VO.
    23/8: a couple of 25p vo surveys, nothing on pa again - what's going on?

23/8: about to do some knitting when I've finished here

23/8: x

Wednesday
    Put all the dry washing away✅
    Mum and dad coming so bake something nice ✅ oaty biscuits we all shared with a cuppa
    Do some knitting.- about to start now.

Thursday.
    More washing stuff!
    Make brownies.
    Plan my decluttering process.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    why am I so blinking sensible?
    I'd really like to improve the toy storage situation in the front room and we have space for some storage from the blue and yellow pleasure palace, but.. due to buying a camping tent style travel cot, new shoes and a new flat cap, the Pickle spends pot on YNAB does not have enough in it until the child benefit gets paid on Monday. My original plan was to go shopping for it tomorrow, but I just can't bring myself to spend money I don't physically have yet. Why am I so blinking sensible? I just can't do it!

In other news. Thanks to a hmrc/student loan mess up my student loan had not been fully paid off in June 2015 as I had thought. I owed them £164.20. Thankfully I've just received a tax rebate of £200 so I paid the student loan off with the tax rebate, have £35 to put towards the toy storage and have TT the shrapnel to the mop pot. No other TT today as I've spent only whole pounds on the card.

The 'spends' account is looking quite healthy for this point in the month. (All figures are 'what's left' amounts)
    £48/£250 in groceries
    £19/£100 in household goods
    £33/£100 in spending money
    £66/£100 in 'stuff I'll forget' (this spend has been stuff ordered for hubby from Amazn as he gives me all of our bills/spends/housekeeping money I really can't ask him for a refund.
    £70/£70 in fuel (this is because we took hubby's car away with us on holiday) there's about 160 miles left in the tank, I'm really hoping I don't have to fill up in August so this stays in tact and I can put the £70 for september's fuel money elsewhere.
    Only the gas/elec and the milk deliveries still to pay for from the Bills account this month, so there will be a bit more for the mop pot.

Tomorrow is a cafe trip with Pickle and friends (money will come from restaurant pot) then baking during nap time and after bed time (already got all ingredients) we might do a park trip after nap time if it's nice tomorrow.

Hubby has left for the first of his 3 back to back jobs, I'm still standing (so far)

But now Updates....

August Goals:
    23/8: £97.92 (TT and a massive underspend on the bacon subscription this month due to being away)
    24/8: £98.71

9/8 ✅
    24/8: no cash spent

24/8: a survey on PA woop woop.
    PA at £6.90 Vo at £5 not expecting any more August payouts but this is a good start towards September's £20 cash out target

24/8: none today

24/8:x

Thursday.
    More washing stuff!✅
    Make brownies. ❌
    Plan my decluttering process. -started

Friday
    Make brownies &a lemon drizzle
    Normal washing
    Tidy round
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Today has been the laziest day we've had in a while and it's been lovely.

Long cafe visit with friends this morning (£4,50 from the restaurant budget)
    Then home for lunch. Pickle had a long nap so I made cakes for hubby's gig (a colleague of his is picking them up Sunday to take to site) then I organised my bed side table and drawers as a start to my decluttering phase.
    When pickle woke up we did lots of playing and now he's just settling to sleep

Tonight is a bit more decluttering, sorting out for tomorrow and some trashy tv.

Hope you are all well.
    Updates....

August Goals:
    25/8: 119.81 (underspend from August's milk delivery pot and TT from child benefit)

9/8 ✅
    25/8: no cash spent

PA at £6.90 Vo at £5 not expecting any more August payouts but this is a good start towards September's £20 cash out target
    25/8: lots of surveys today inc a £3 one on pa, I'm now half way to the next payout on both sites so I think a £30 September target should be set.

25/8: why did I set this unachievable target?

25:8: needs to be a September target I think

Friday
    Make brownies &a lemon drizzle ✅
    Normal washing✅
    Tidy round✅

Saturday
    Jobs in town
    Make creme egg topping for brownies
    Declutter coat cupboards.
  • Silence101
    Silence101 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm obviously not as awake as I thought, I read that you needed to declutter the goat cupboard :rotfl:
    I tried Ynab for the free trial, and follow the Ynab fan group on Facebook, but I didn't really get into the system, as I started halfway through the month, so couldn't plan all our recurring bills.
    I like the idea of separate pots, but we don't seem to have the willpower to stick to them. DH isn't keen on paying for the subscription, so I'm thinking we might have to try a paper version to get used it the idea first.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Silence, if you use YNAB on an iPad you can transfer money between pots easily, after three months it will then give you the average spend from that pot so you Canmore easily budget accurately.
    It took me a while to get my head round, but it was definitely worth persevering for me.

I use the app on my phone to log spends as they happen. The iPad app to assign money to pots and move money around and the computer app for changing category titles and looking at reports.
    Like all things though, it doesn't work for everyone.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    long, tiring, but lovely day today Pickle and I headed into the city, on the bus, to meet a friend who's justfinishing her masters in a city over the hills. We used this as an opportunity to run some errands too - dropping hubby's suits in to be dry cleaned;
    Pay birthday cheques into bank (and see if they have a coin deposit machine - they do)
    New strap forhubby's watch
    Somemystery shopping challenges andsomefree/reduced stuff on shopm1um.

Met up with friend, who's never been to this city so wentto the art gallery and a general wander round. I paid for both lunch & coffee & cake as she is a student and had paid for a train ticket to come and see us.

All in all a lovely day, I ache now though, all that walking with Pickle in the Meh deh.
    Leavingthe pushchair at home was the right decision, but there were times I wished I brought it. Usually when he was charging roundplaces when let loose to walk.

Budgets are depleting quite rapidly now it feels, but September and a reset is coming.

Tomorrow is a trip to an arty/craftymarket, need to take cash and some drinks with me so I don't go crazy on the spending, then start on my 'illusion' cake for Tuesday night's bake off bake along.

Night all.
    Updates....

August Goals:
    25/8: 119.81 (underspend from August's milk delivery pot and TT from child benefit)
    26/8: £120.85 (TT - nearly there)

9/8 ✅
    26/8: ✅ £3 in bus fares

25/8: lots of surveys today inc a £3 one on pa, I'm now half way to the next payout on both sites so I think a £30 September target should be set.
    26/8: no survey's today but £2 earned on roaml3r. I also did some shopm1um shopping today - free (when the money comes through) chocolate, which I've eaten because I was tired and hungry. 3 bottles of non-alcoholic grape/elderflower presse stuff which can go into the cellar for Christmas.

26/8:never going to happen!

26/8: x

Saturday
    Jobs in town✅
    Make creme egg topping for brownies✅
    Declutter coat cupboards.❌ too tired tonight, I know it's not a big job, but I just can't face it.

Sunday
    Make cakes for bake off bake along
    Declutter coat hooks
    Cleaner proof the house
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Late update tonight as I've spent all evening decorating my bake off showstopper. The cake got made and baked this morning as Pickle had me up at 5:30 today, so I made cake while he played with his train. It's getting there, but a bit more decorating to do tomorrow.

This morning we went to an arty crafty market with a friend. I resisted the goodies spent on lunch which was lovely, we popped into a couple of shops and I picked up some shopm1um deals to put away for Christmas again and treated Pickle to a sticker scene book thing £2 for 300 paper stickers and60 puffed up stickers. We spent a lovely 20 minutes this afternoon learning how to take the sticker off the sticker page and get it off of our fingers onto the scene. £2 we'll spent and still half the puffed up stickers and all the paper stickers to use up. (Will save for a rainy day though I think. )

I only spent whole £ today so nothing to to Tilly tidy, so I took a £1 from each spends pot to add to the mop pot
    I've emptied all the bathroom cabinets, thrown some stuff away, need to clean the cabinets tomorrow and only put back what I need and ditch the rest.

Plans for tomorrow are still fluid for tomorrow so, watch this space.

Night all.
    Updates....

August Goals:
    26/8: £120.85 (TT - nearly there)
    27/8: £124.35

9/8 ✅
    26/8: ✅ £3 in bus fares
    27/8:✅

26/8: no survey's today but £2 earned on roaml3r. I also did some shopm1um shopping today - free (when the money comes through) chocolate, which I've eaten because I was tired and hungry. 3 bottles of non-alcoholic grape/elderflower presse stuff which can go into the cellar for Christmas.
    27/8: no change

26/8:never going to happen!
    27/8: ❌

26/8: x
    27/8: x

Sunday
    Make cakes for bake off bake along✅
    Declutter coat hooks❌
    Cleaner proof the house✅

Monday
    Finish showstopper cake
    Stuff back in bathroom cupboards
    Washing etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure