PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making a carrier bag holder to hang in the kitchen?

Options
I dont have a sewing machine and my sewing abilities are slightly limited. I can sew a line ok.

I want one of those holders that you squash the bags into and then pull them out the bottom, made of fabric.

I want one out of red gingham and cant find one ready made, but would baulk at paying over a fiver for one anyway so will have to make my own.

I know I can get red gingham on ebay, but how do I make this thing?

Comments

• Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Options
    Here you are m'dear: http://www.silkysteps.com/userfiles/image/stitch/sewing_patterns/carrier_bag_dispenser.pdf

Check out your local charity shops for red gingham fabric first before you shell out for ebay !

Oh, and don't forget to post a pic of the finished article :T
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wouldn't it be better to just make a shopping bag and then you could save the environment by not using plastic shopping bags at all.;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have one that a friend made and it's only got elastic in the bottom hem so makes it easier to stuff them in! I don't know how much gingham is on ebay but it might be cheaper to buy locally, try a CS or I've seen some lovely check tea towels in Primark for £1.20 that you could use (unfortunately only deep pink or blue check).

I find I accept a minimum number of bags when I'm out shopping and then I reuse them as bin liners for the kitchen. I'm sure you do the same, puddy;)

Love to see a pic when you've finished.
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    i also wanted a red gingham one
    i see you already have a link for a tutorial
    its easy

i made hanging hearts with some of the rest of the fabric, again very easy, and filled with lemon balm dried from the garden (a little rice at the point in the bottom helps retain the shape)

006-16.jpg
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better to just make a shopping bag and then you could save the environment by not using plastic shopping bags at all.;)

bin bags, dog poop bags and cat litter bags. we never buy bin bags, sandwich bags or pedal bin bags, we only use carrier bags.

we use our canvas bags for our shop at aldi and lidl but when im running low on sh*t bags, i have to remember to get my shopping strategically to maximise carrier bags! its ok as aldi and lidl dont do everything that we need so i have to remember not to use the canvas bags for those shops
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Allegra wrote: »
    Here you are m'dear: http://www.silkysteps.com/userfiles/image/stitch/sewing_patterns/carrier_bag_dispenser.pdf

Check out your local charity shops for red gingham fabric first before you shell out for ebay !

Oh, and don't forget to post a pic of the finished article :T

I made one out of a school dress 2op from the carboot.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport