Worth staying with GMB?

Options
I have been paying the GMB union £7 every month for years. It was worth it when I was employed as they got me a settlement figure when laid off last December when a PAYEE employee.

I have continued paying them for the last year. I am now a self-employed handyman. Is it worth it? Shall I cancel it?

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    I believe unions offer other services so like anything you need to cost it out.

£84 a year gets you what exactly? Clearly you don't need protection from employers being self employed (presuming you are actually self employed) but what about the other services they offer?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • textbook
    Options
    I believe unions offer other services so like anything you need to cost it out.

£84 a year gets you what exactly? Clearly you don't need protection from employers being self employed (presuming you are actually self employed) but what about the other services they offer?

Who would I ask? The GMB?
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    textbook wrote: »
    Who would I ask? The GMB?
    ................yes?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When we had changes at work, only one of 3 unions attended a meeting (on a recruiting drive). They didnt have the power to stop the inevitable, since Thatcher removed their teeth, so all they could do is delay the inevitable with endless queries.

They seem to function as a form of legal insurance, or you could go "no win no fee" instead
    They have failed to get us a pay rise for years
    Was their settlement to you above and beyond the statutory minimum settlement?

Generally I've gotten through sick reviews etc by simply having a good relationship with my employers
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When we had changes at work, only one of 3 unions attended a meeting (on a recruiting drive). They didnt have the power to stop the inevitable, since Thatcher removed their teeth, so all they could do is delay the inevitable with endless queries.

They seem to function as a form of legal insurance, or you could go "no win no fee" instead
    They have failed to get us a pay rise for years
    Was their settlement to you above and beyond the statutory minimum settlement?

Generally I've gotten through sick reviews etc by simply having a good relationship with my employers

They were good. Only paid £7 a month a got a £3000 settlement payout and reference guarantee.

Worked for a scum of the earth English language school on a zero hrs contract. They tried to say I only worked a year when I had worked 5.5 years. The union guy caught them out and I got the £3000 or possibility of job back. Wanted to leave so took money.

I know £3000 isn't great but in that terrible industry it was something

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt you get anything for the money now. Have a look on their website. I belong to RMT. They’ve done a lot for us in the job but I can’t see me staying in when I leave. They do a free will writing service which I have taken advantage of. You might want to check out that sort of thing with GMB before you leave.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm now a retired member of my old union - the fees are far lower but you still get most of the benefits apart from the employment related ones (but pension issues are covered).
  • textbook
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    I doubt you get anything for the money now. Have a look on their website. I belong to RMT. They’ve done a lot for us in the job but I can’t see me staying in when I leave. They do a free will writing service which I have taken advantage of. You might want to check out that sort of thing with GMB before you leave.

I will check out the free will writing service. They also offer over the phone advice on child custody (family law) and will fight for me if I am in a car accident. I thought my van insurance company would do that! They sold it as the car insurance company take a cut of what you win they don't. But I don't think that's enough to warrant the £7 a month.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Getting a will done by a solicitor will cost about £100 to £150 so that aspect is certainly worth investigating before deciding to leave. I know you can do it for less with some will writing services but my experience of them was anything but good. Happy to take the money but impossible to get them to do anything about updating despite an annual fee!
  • textbook
    edited 28 February 2018 at 3:29PM
    Options
    I think cancel after checking out free will writing service etc then if I need them for a pension issue in future then rejoin.

Just ordered the will writing service. Am checking what else I can get out of it. Maybe the car accident one is good too. Might be better to run through the incident with GMB than the insurance company, who is essentially looking for me to say the wrong thing on the phone.

I am a self employed sole trader and there's a civil line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure