PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick and sometimes obvious time savers..

Options

Comments

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wrap gifts as I buy them, and I start buying 6 months in advance using paper bought in January sales) a few mins here or there wrapping seems like nothing at all, where 2 1/2 hours wrapping in the week before christmas when i should be cleaning, sorting out the spare room or doing food prep seems like a huge amount of time. I keep a list of what I have wrapped. And am usually wrapping homemade fresh shortbread for stockings on chrismas eve but everything else is done.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another thing we do at church is a Christmas card board, gin've a donation a write a card to the whole fellowship, rather than spend hours giving cards to loads of people, also as saves on the chance of forgetting someone, and if people are not around the greetings are printed in the church magazine so people feel included even if you did not see them before chrismas.

Oh and the money you would have spent on loads of cards goes to charity. An you can still send an individual card if you want to. We give and get cards from the junior church group and recieve a few from other members.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2017 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Gift bags - 5 coloured or brown paper bags from Hobbycraft for £2.50 - kids all get the same size gift & all look the same when handed out!

I second the chalkboard in the kitchen to jot down when things run out in cupboards.

I always keep a wash bag with all the travel-sized essentials for a trip in the cupboard so it's just ready to grab & go for travel/gym/overnight stay & u won't 4get ur toothbrush!

I have a box on the table by the door to dump wallets, change, phones etc. & key hooks so things don't go missing when u r in a rush. *make sure it's secure if it's anywhere within sight or reach of your letterbox & a fishing pole

Fill the kettle, put coffee in the cafetiere & pack lunch b4 bed.

I follow bento-style lunches so I don't have to spend ages "making" things (e.g. tiny tub of cottage cheese, oatcakes, handful of grapes & nuts, a small piece of fruit & crisps or chocolate bar - very little assembly required!)

Over-cook for each meal & freeze at least 1 portion of each dish for a collection quick freezer meals on busy days.

Batch cook quiches & scones (sweet or savoury), slice & freeze for snacks.

Easy, cheap soup recipe - bag of frozen peas & 3 ham stock cubes in 500 ml boiling water - cook & blend.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    We always keep the gift bags - birthday and Christmas - and recycle them round friends and family.

My Mum and I have been swapping the same gift bag for 10 years. It's very battered, but it's a tradition now.

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Elliesmum wrote: »
    My Mum and I have been swapping the same gift bag for 10 years. It's very battered, but it's a tradition now.

EM x
    It will have to go some way to beat Gladstone’s battered budget box.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • richj
    richj Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we have an online shopping list document that is shared to loads of devices. We then add items as we think of them, so hopefully things don't get forgotten when we go shopping. it usually works great and we have a lot less of those'we forgot to get' moments as we drive home.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, some great tips there and just what I was hoping for, a lot of time saving tips gathered together for easy reference. I'll certainly be using a lot of them. Some things are just woven into your life aren't they?
    I always return the shopping bags straight to the car boot after emptying so they are always there and I don't have to buy new ones. Bird seed is decanted and kept in a screw top jar at the back door ready for distributing when I take washing out or have my daily sojourn 'down the garden' (Every day, rain or shine, it does my soul good :) )
    Tidying the car where I sit as passenger means that we can get necessary items into the glove box and papers and cans are lifted out and put into the bin when we return to the drive.
    I also keep duplicates of items like toilet rolls and cleaning materials upstairs and downstairs so they are readily available and save running up and down stairs for one item.
    PS. Love the tea towel bottle wrapping idea. I'm going to use that one for a young couple who usually receive a bottle of wine each. Lovely idea, and I'll make sure that they know they are both allowed to use them!;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A sudden cessation of Christmas cards is awkward to handle. You don't know whether the person died (especially if they're elderly or have been unwell) or have just stopped sending cards through cost or some other reason.
    We didn't send cards one year because of illness. Somebody just rang and said "I was ringing up to check you weren't dead!" That made me laugh. Nothing like being direct !
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    A sudden cessation of Christmas cards is awkward to handle. You don't know whether the person died (especially if they're elderly or have been unwell) or have just stopped sending cards through cost or some other reason.
    We didn't send cards one year because of illness. Somebody just rang and said "I was ringing up to check you weren't dead!" That made me laugh. Nothing like being direct !
    That probably one thing that can be said in favour of social media - it’s easier to work it out discreetly.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 November 2017 at 3:30PM
    Options
    I guess those of us who choose not to engage with social media could discreetly pass away and nobody would know we,ve gone ! I know a few elderly people. (ie older than me) who live alone, don,t have immediate family and don’t even use email. At least with email you can often use a ‘read receipt’ to check the email has been opened and read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure