credit cards for discharged bankrupts?

Options
there maybe a better forum for this but here goes

i was discharged a couple of months ago-my credit file/score isn’t as disastrous as i thought it would be and i am working now on a fairly decent salary- is there any chance i can get a ‘mainstream’ credit card-i have pre-approval for various ‘subprime’ cards -and in fact have successfully applied for a capital one-but would really like a ‘normal’ card-i’m not expecting an amex platinum or anything, maybe a basic barclaycard or something-and i’m not fussy on the rate as i am now hyper-disciplined financially, learnt alot over the past few years!

reason for this is i do a bit of client entertaining with my job and pay personally prior to reclaiming from the business- i just think putting a subprime card on the table is a bit of a bad look and possible red-flag to clients-

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ignore the score.

Highly unlikely you would get a mainstream card so soon. Not all Capital One cards are subprime and its not as if it has subprime stamped on it.

What is more concerning ( and hopefully you dont take this wrong way) is you seem to already have one credit card and are looking for more - are you really that 'hyper disciplined'?

Why the need for more credit?
  • london1973
    Options
    perfectly reasonable question-

one card is fine- i’m just a bit self-aware using the capital 1 card! sounds very silly in the grand scheme of things i appreciate- i wasn’t however aware they have mainstream cards too?

i appreciate they don’t have subprime stamped on them!! but something like vanquis is pretty obvious in my view

anyway thanks for response-it was more of a ‘general interest’ question -hardly life or death!
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    london1973 wrote: »
    perfectly reasonable question-

one card is fine- i’m just a bit self-aware using the capital 1 card! sounds very silly in the grand scheme of things i appreciate- i wasn’t however aware they have mainstream cards too?

i appreciate they don’t have subprime stamped on them!! but something like vanquis is pretty obvious in my view

anyway thanks for response-it was more of a ‘general interest’ question -hardly life or death!

Im probably going to sound really rude here...your now in the BR club...your worried about people knowing the fact you use a sub prime credit card.

Sorry but the fact six years your going to struggle with obtaining credit and are concerned how certain credit cards could be perceived.:eek:
  • london1973
    Options
    yes i am frankly - in my line of work 1st impressions are paramount so its a perfectly reasonable question on that basis-if its not to your taste you should ignore it, not make a pointless remark like that

further as a general question, i.e are non subprime credit cards at all available to recently discharged bankrupts, i’m sure it will be of help to others also-not you perhaps
  • GazHatesBanks
    Options
    further as a general question, i.e are non subprime credit cards at all available to recently discharged bankrupts, i’m sure it will be of help to others also-not you perhaps

While you have a bankruptcy on your credit file, only sub-prime cards will be available to you. The only possible exception is if you have a partner with a clean credit history who can add you as a second card holder on a 'standard' card although this will not help to rebuild your credit file.

On a more positive note, Vanquis cards are unbranded on the front (I think you can still chose which design you want). Only if someone looks at the back of the card and looked closely would they notice that it was issued by Vanquis.

If that still doesn't appeal, perhaps stick to using a debit card. They are only branded with the bank name so no-one else needs to know that it's only a basic account!
  • london1973
    Options
    thanks Gaz that is really helpful
    can i be added to a company credit card as a holder or will that spark a personal credit check?
  • GazHatesBanks
    Options
    can i be added to a company credit card as a holder or will that spark a personal credit check?
    It will depend on the issuer. If you know who the company uses then it might be worth contacting the card issuer and asking.

Certainly many banks will not allow someone with a bankruptcy on their credit file to become an account signatory, but I don't know whether or not this extends to credit cards.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco foundation and ASDA Start credit cards look identical to their prime cards. Could try those?
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options

i wouldn't worry about company credit cards. They credit check the main card holder for additional users and not the additional user.

I had several company credit cards within the short years after bankruptcy.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Aqua reward gives 0.5% cashback and initial £48 cashback through Quidco

Tesco foundation gives clubcard points and initial £47.25 cashback through topcashback

Chrome looks very smart and offers initial £30 cashback through topcashback

With all of them just make sure you pay off in full each month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure