Impatient and frustrated. Should we try?

Options
marliepanda
marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
edited 21 May 2017 at 4:46PM in Mortgages & endowments
Is it worth trying?

Long story short. Seen the perfect house at 185k. Joint salary is currently £40-46k (partner gets dividends, so currently judging it on 40k although actual income is more like £46k)

We have 10% deposit which could be topped up by family inheritance but not relying on it. Santander/Barclays and some others have suggested lending around £177k is possible, so should be possible with the 10%.(not sure if relevant but we both have good credit history, no defaults or anything and no debt)

The problem: I am currently working full time on a temp contract which ends mid August. Shortly I will be offered a permanent contract from August but at the moment this is only three days. It MAY increase before August, it will definitely be FT permanent from next march. But at the moment, it's not. Current salary £19k, 3 days will roughly 12k)

Is it worth it. I tried not to look at houses because I knew I'd get my heart set on something.. and I've gone and done it.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Can you get a letter confirming you will be offered a permanent contract with what your wage will be?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How long have you been working for this employer on fixed term contracts? How long have you worked in this sector?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    How long have you been working for this employer on fixed term contracts? How long have you worked in this sector?

I've worked for local authority's for five years previously as a teacher. I have worked at this place for 6 months and this has been extended an initial 3. So it'll probably only count as 6 months.

Not sure if a letter confirming permanent status and salary is possible as although the job is 'mine' I'm not sure how 'public' that can be. However the retirement plans are in and the hours are there.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Can you get a letter confirming you will be offered a permanent contract with what your wage will be?

My three day contract should be 'imminent'

When I get that, I can ask regarding the increase from March. I feel that will be okay.

I guess I'm just panicking my dream house will go before I even get my three day contract (which is from August, working full time until then)
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If your combined income is £40k based on the 3 day week you should be fine with that contract as it should pass affordability (based on quick basic calculations).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    If your combined income is £40k based on the 3 day week you should be fine with that contract as it should pass affordability (based on quick basic calculations).

Based on three day sorry it would be £32-38k depending on how much of his dividend income they take into account.

As I said making more of a deposit is more than possible, however, if they won't look twice at me for a mortgage then what's the point :(

Currently I'm on a full time temp contract which will drop to three day permanent from mid August. Things may change and make the FT contract happen sooner (if someone leaves for example, and two are applying for other jobs) but that's not a certainty.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Does anyone else have any experience of obtaining mortgages on a temporary FT contract?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure